Opinion on used equipment....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSmitty13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was just wondering what the general opinion on buying used equipment from a trusted dive shop? Thanks in advance for your advice and help...

I bought almost everything used, you save a TON of money. Just be prudent.

My only concern with shop stuff is if it was rental gear - I've seen some pretty ratty rental equipment, some of which had chronic problems. Just as long as you're close enough to visit and see the gear for itself and test it out, you should be fine. Since it's a shop, perhaps they'll be willing to inspect/service it for you as well, as part of the deal.

I've bought 8 used 1st stages and about 15 2nd stages on ebay with no disappointments. If you want to get top performance and great prices, used is the way to go.

i have bought a lot of used gear from this forum, and have never been disappointed. most scuba gear is designed to be durable and is used little.

I just sold a perfectly good drysuit through my LDS, so I'd say buying used gear from a trusted shop is just fine . . . :)

Wow, i'm suprised by all the positive opinions. Thanks for the input everybody.

Why should we not be positive? Bottom line is we ALL dive used equipment...the only question is who dove it last. Personally, I don't trust out of the box new equipment until it's used several times, same goes for freshly serviced equipment. If it's going to fail, it will most likely fail early in life or soon after service.I would recommend you buy from someone you can go back to and that you have it checked out by a tech before diving it. ebay is a debateable issue. You can get good deals but you can also get burned, the get it checked suggestion is esp important with ebay buys.

Welcome to the board.

Just one more response...

Like the others, the seven regulators I own are all purchased used, as are backplates, wings, SMBs, reels, and other items.

For the most part, so long as modern equipment has been cared for and maintained it will perform well for you. The trick is being able to ensure that the used item you're interested in has been reasonably well maintained.

So long as I'm confident in whom I'm dealing with, I have no qualms about purchasing used gear.

Welcome to ScubaBoard,

Doc

I was just wondering what the general opinion on buying used equipment from a trusted dive shop? Thanks in advance for your advice and help...

...I don't have a problem with it......for what it's worth, the gear item needs to be no more than 1/2 the price you would pay for it new, assuming the gear is at least in good condition and with a fresh service done where appropriate.

Karl

EBay is your friend. I've purchased hundreds of items and never been burned. Just do some research on what you are buying before hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom