Opinion on owning multiple bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that double 80s can be useful--even beneficial. In my earliest tech diving to common tech diving depths in Florida, I was usually buddied with someone who usually brought double AL 80s. I had my Worthington LP 108s. The extra gas I could put in my LP 108s was of no value, since we had to do our dive planning based on his gas and since, frankly, that much gas was appropriate for the dives we had planned. I would much rather have been carrying AL 80s onto those boats than my LP 108s, believe me.

I tend to prefer my double LP72's to double AL80's for that kind of diving. They balance better for me, but agree that a smaller set of doubles if you're diving in little-no exposure protection to be useful

I should have stated in the OP that I pretty much only dive dry, so I am putting a decent amount of lead on top of the double 80's to get neutral.

weight, Volume (I can closer gas match my buddy), size - were my big considerations for hp100's.

I am slowly thinking of grabbing a set of hp100's/lp108's for doubles, and picking up another 40 - keeping my 80's doubled up in case I dive wet (ewwwww) or something. I can always break them down if needed later.

Gas matching is easy. It's just basic math. I'd be far more concerned with proper weighting and trim with cylinder selection. I almost exclusively dive dry and I use LP108s and LP121s. They trim out perfectly and I don't need an ounce of lead. I have a set of LP85s that I use as my wetsuit doubles, but they rarely get used. 80s are stages in my opinion. They dive fine doubled up in a wetsuit, but if you're diving dry, there's not much of a reason to keep them that way.

weight, Volume (I can closer gas match my buddy), size - were my big considerations for hp100's.

I am slowly thinking of grabbing a set of hp100's/lp108's for doubles, and picking up another 40 - keeping my 80's doubled up in case I dive wet (ewwwww) or something. I can always break them down if needed later.

Hi. I'm 6'1 and long in torso. The short Hp100's push my head down and suck on a boat unless you can safely get a block of wood under them. The extra length of HP120's is nice and puts more weight down low where I need it. beg/borrow and rent a few. LP108's cave filled is ALLOT of gas and I'm pretty sure your going to need at least one AL80 deco tank. Enjoy, I can't sleep so I hope I make sense.

Billy

Hi. I'm 6'1 and long in torso. The short Hp100's push my head down and suck on a boat unless you can safely get a block of wood under them. The extra length of HP120's is nice and puts more weight down low where I need it. beg/borrow and rent a few. LP108's cave filled is ALLOT of gas and I'm pretty sure your going to need at least one AL80 deco tank. Enjoy, I can't sleep so I hope I make sense.

Billy

I'm a short little guy.

Can you elaborate on the wood?

I'm a short little guy.

Can you elaborate on the wood?

Okay, then Hp100's could be perfect!

On most boats I had to wiggle in to my gear from below and the tanks wouldn't be resting on the bench. If I could I block the tanks up to match my torso height I would. HP120's,LP85's and 108's no problem. Enjoy

Okay, then Hp100's could be perfect!

On most boats I had to wiggle in to my gear from below and the tanks wouldn't be resting on the bench. If I could I block the tanks up to match my torso height I would. HP120's,LP85's and 108's no problem. Enjoy

Thanks!

Keep the 80. Get some 108's. Repurpose the 80's for deep and 50 and keep the 40 for O2. It will probably be quite a while before you're ready for more than 3 extra tanks hanging off you.

Ken's right about AL80's being ok tanks for Tech1 level wetsuit dives, but if you're only every diving dry, meh, I'd rather have them available for stages. Really you're gonna need more anyway, you do want to dive standard gases right? Right? Well then you're gonna need a bunch more stages anyway, so you might as well start now.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom