Opinion on owning multiple bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Cobra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently own a set of luxfer 80's set up as a set of doubles, and a luxfer 40 as my deco bottle.

I am looking at swapping to a set of hp100 doubles to better gas match my buddy and set the stage for trimix later this year or early next year. However, I'm not sure of I should pull apart my 80's and make one a deco bottle or trade one for another 40.

Just looking for opinions on what you guys think might make the most sense as I dislike buying and selling if unnecessary.

If you are going to be diving Trimix soon, keep the 80’s as stage/deco bottles, and buy yourself a set of LP 108’s. Plenty of gas in the 108’s. Why LP? Because even if you fill to 2640...you have more gas than your buddy in his hp100’s. If you accidently overfill them to say 3800 psi, you now have over 300cuft. I can’t imagine an OW tech dive where I need more backgas than that.

I currently own a set of luxfer 80's set up as a set of doubles, and a luxfer 40 as my deco bottle.

I am looking at swapping to a set of hp100 doubles to better gas match my buddy and set the stage for trimix later this year or early next year. However, I'm not sure of I should pull apart my 80's and make one a deco bottle or trade one for another 40.

Just looking for opinions on what you guys think might make the most sense as I dislike buying and selling if unnecessary.

SC...

Don't sell too soon...

Wait until you get to where you hope to be going...you can break your double 80 AL's down anytime...use the bands and manifold for your HP steel doubles...and eventually sling your 80's using the valves from your new 100's...your AL 40 should also be a keeper...

Best...

Warren

you can break your double 80 AL's down anytime...use the bands and manifold for your HP steel doubles...and eventually sling your 80's using the valves from your new 100's...your AL 40 should also be a keeper...

This is pretty much what I have planned. I guess my question was more of which route would be more beneficial, 2 80's and a 40 or 1 80 and 2 40's.

This is pretty much what I have planned. I guess my question was more of which route would be more beneficial, 2 80's and a 40 or 1 80 and 2 40's.

SC...

Let your tec instructor help you to figure out your configuration(s)...as with everything else...nothing is static...there will be variations...and it's nice to have all the sub-components on hand...

Warren

Being in NC, I think you will find that your dives will call for either 40’s, or 80’s....not so much a mix. You are about even distance between MHC and Wilmington, so unless you plan on driving to Hatteras, your Trimix depth wrecks are a long run from shore. I’d venture to say you would be well advised to grab 2 40’s. One for 50%, one for O2. Your 80’s will be great for deeper dives when you have that opportunity though.

Most of us have more tanks than anyone needs...but they are cheap, and it’s nice to have tanks filled ready to go when the weather is right for a good dive. Which as you probably know, could mean less than 24hrs notice before the boat leaves...particularly if you have your own boat...or have a buddy with a boat. A lot of our dives out here are planned on paper for months, and executed as soon as the weather gives us an opportunity.

That’s a long answer, but I hope it helps.

Being in NC, I think you will find that your dives will call for either 40’s, or 80’s....not so much a mix.

You are about even distance between MHC and Wilmington, so unless you plan on driving to Hatteras, your Trimix depth wrecks are a long run from shore. I’d venture to say you would be well advised to grab 2 40’s. One for 50%, one for O2. Your 80’s will be great for deeper dives when you have that opportunity though.

That’s a long answer, but I hope it helps.

I'm from the Chesapeake, VA area and my wife has a timeshare in hatteras so between there and pompano is the plan for any mix dives. Mind you this is my long term goal.

I do very much appreciate your input. You pretty much said what I has thinking would be my best route.

They breed and multiply. Once it starts, you can never stop it.
Selling one off means you will buy two to replace it later.
I almost sold off my AL80s. Didn't vis them for over a year. This weekend I am blowing the dust off and getting to use one as a bail out bottle. Good thing I was lazy and never sold it or I would be buying another.

Right now I have 5 al 80's, 2 lp95's, 2 lp 85's, 4 lp72's, 2 lp 75.5's, 2 al 40's, 2 al30's, 2 LP50's, an HP80, and 6 and 19 cu ft bottles. Plus access to a few dozen more. Choice of cylinder depends on the dive but I rarely have to worry about if the location has fills or not. Tanks multiply and you usually never get rid of them unless they fail, are traded for more, or people give up diving. The only ones I've bought new are the 85s, 1 al80, the 6, and one of the 30's. The rest I for less than half retail by buying used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom