Opening Night of Lobster Season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhotoTJ

Contributor
Reaction score
Malibu, CA is where I spend most of my dive time.
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Eighteen days to go at post, who's planning on being in the water those precious first few minutes after midnight?

What I'm REALLY asking is; Who is as crazy as I am?

Please do be careful if you're going out on opening night. It can be a CF of divers....many of whom haven't dived since last opening night. Really do not want to hear about any accidents over a silly lobster.

Opening night for lobster season...
I guarantee that I won't be diving then.
It's always a mess.
Too many folks overestimating their diving abilities.
Too many people using gear that hasn't been well-maintained.
Have fun out there!

I'm hoping to make it opening night! It'll be California's last opening night, so I don't want to miss it! I only get 4-6 lobsters per season so I hope to make this one count!

I'm hoping to make it opening night! It'll be California's last opening night, so I don't want to miss it! I only get 4-6 lobsters per season so I hope to make this one count!

Huh? did I miss something?

I happened to be out the evening before opening night a few years back. The DFG gave us the full shake down 2 hour prior to opening season. Had I even had a clue as to what night it was I probably would have stayed home.

Lobster season beginning... thanks for the warning, TJ. I'll stay home and edit my video.

Did a night dive last night and the lobster seemed to be especially skittish. They were jetting off as soon as my video light hit them. I'll bet someone has already been "practicing" their skills a bit prematurely.

There are not enough CA game wardens to cover our coast. I only see them at popular entry points and fishing areas. I do not normally go where I see someone else under the water much less a boat nearby.

I would like to hit the water, but it is too late for me. I will probably drive down the first week and go out with some buddies.

Yeah, people should not disturb sealife by touching the poor lobsters as they walk across the open areas in the evening. A DM scared some and one took off backwards and got stuck near my belt. Took me a few seconds to free it. I have been guilty of disturbing sea anemones to show kids how they close up. 20 years ago I touched abalone. They spew something as they clamp down that attracts Lingcod and Cabezon. I only touch what I intend to take now.

Not neccessarily true. We sometimes pick green crabs off the rocks and throw them to a sea otter hunting green crabs. Interesting to see 40 plus sea otters hanging out eating benthic organisms. Or throw garden snails to seagulls as they fly around in a circle and grab the snails out of the air.

Back
Top Bottom