Opening Night of Lobster Season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the first time I'm ever braving the waters on opening night. And I'm only doing it because I'm going to be the galley wench on Mr. C. I've purposely avoided diving on opening night in the past, because of all the horror stories I've read of once-a-year divers with no skills, irresponsible behavior (e.g. piles of tailed lobster carcasses left on the beach, or huge, limit-exceeding takes of shorties), and just a fear of witnessing the massive CF, or worse, seeing someone get hurt.

I actually don't know what to expect. And to be honest, I'm just a wee bit nervous. I'm hoping we go to dive sites where there are no other boats, but with all the opening-night hype, and so many boats and divers out there, is it even possible to find sites where we won't be crowded together with others? I'm also praying that we don't have too many once-a-year divers onboard. I know that the crew will enforce DFG rules, so I'm not too concerned about irresponsible behavior (Pat and Stan wouldn't allow it - they run a clean ship). I also think things will be fine because it's a charter by Ye Old Dive Shop, so I'm thinking it will mostly be members of their club who dive frequently.

Anyway, should be interesting. Yes I do hunt lobster - it happens to be my favorite food, and a freshly-caught California Spiny Lobster is light-years more delectable than any other type of lobster out there, including live Maine lobster. (I once did a side-by-side comparison, and the bug I'd just caught was SO much more tender, sweet, tasty, and less grainy than the live Maine bug I'd bought from a tank.) But I always hunt responsibly. I expect my fellow divers to do the same.

Let's all be safe and smart out there this year.

Last edited:
Almost all of my diving is at night and my buddy and I joke about the dangers of day diving. I have had some incredible surface swims on my back using the stars as a guide. For me, night diving is the best time to dive.

Probably one of the most important skills I learnt was using the particles in the water immediately in front of your face to guide you on ascents without a guide. Literally two years of ascents using kelp and anchor lines then two dives in a row which required night ascents without a guide.

Dwayne

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom