Open Water Dives - 27.8lbs weight belt - did I get too much weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ironically my first specialty class was the PADI peak buoyancy but unfortunately it was right after my OW and my instructor never paid attention to my weight. A few pivot exercises later with a full BCD, I was an "expert in buoyancy".

Man, I'm sorry, that's criminal. Reminds me of why I never took the class. By the time I would have taken it, I already knew it all. Then I hear stories like this one.... people wonder why I get my shields up and call BS on every stupid thing I ever see from an LDS or a so-called "pro".

until you get through the class don't worry about being over weighted.
seems like class is exactly the right time to worry about this. Class is supposed to be to learn stuff not "get through" and this is a pretty important basic thing to learn.

most dive masters and dive instructors prefer to have students heavey on the OW certification class to make the performance of the skills at depth easier for the students to perform without bolting to the surface.

until you get through the class don't worry about being over weighted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Actually not always true. Some of them do it because they don't know any better, did not properly teach buoyancy control in the pool, rushed people through so it's easier to plant em, or are just plain lazy. They also.want to.sell a peak buoyancy class to to teach what should.have been taught in the first place.
Insist the instructor do a proper weight check and make a scene if they refuse. Don't let em pull any we don't have time crap.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

seems like class is exactly the right time to worry about this. Class is supposed to be to learn stuff not "get through" and this is a pretty important basic thing to learn.
I'd beg to differ.

Some of the skills are downright tough for a new diver, i.e. mask flooding/clearing. Add the potential for a runaway ascent if you're properly weighted but aren't a master of your own buoyancy yet, and there's potential for bad news.

By taking buoyancy control out of the equation, a diver can focus on the tasks we find mundane and everyday.

I remember the first time 54* water hit my face after a full flood. If I wasn't firmly planted on the ground and could feel it, I would've booked it. But instead, I sat there and remembered to "Think, Breathe, Act" instead of bolting.

hhsuey,

As some have said, an accurate answer here is impossible. I can tell you that when I started 26 was my magic number based on a bona fide weight check. Over time some went to being trim weight then with experience some went away and gear changes have reduced it even further.

There are 3 suggestions I can offer;

1) Your question makes it clear that you have not done a proper weight check. I would ask your instructor when you can expect to do a weight check to determine your actual need. The intent may be to do so as part of your open water work when you will have the 100% actual conditions.

2) Read this page to get a decent understanding of what's going on.

3) If the belt feels too big when standing topside it will be dangerously sloppy when you are prone and wet. Reposition weights and keepers as needed to allow a good cinching. It's quite common to find yourself wanting to shrug a weight belt after you are horizontal in the water. A loose one that is rolling and sliding is annoying and even dangerous.

Pete

How many dives do you have?
In my personal experience, when I was an OW student, I would have bolted if I wasn't firmly on the ground. Regardless of how many dives I have now, or you do, we were all OW students once with a little bit of uneasiness when we first started.

In my personal experience, when I was an OW student, I would have bolted if I wasn't firmly on the ground. Regardless of how many dives I have now, or you do, we were all OW students once with a little bit of uneasiness when we first started.

You didn't answer the question.

You didn't answer the question.
The question is irrelevant. How many dives I have now does not change what I would have done as an OW student.

But to answer your question, 61.

Can you tell me you were 100% comfortable removing your mask for the first time? Would you have felt the same if you were unsure of your position in the water column?

61 dives. Perhaps your knowledge and experience isn't all that you think it is. One day you will realize just how foolish zero to hero fast tracks are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom