Open water dive PADI in Bangkok HELP!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find it hard to believe that reputable DC's (here in Thailand or anywhere else for that matter) would agree in conducting 2 day OWD courses without confined water training.

Dive South East Asia in Pattaya, they do it all the time, never do pool training, just 2 short days on the boat and away you go.
Similar procedures for the advanced and rescue courses unfortunately.

I find it hard to believe that reputable DC's (here in Thailand or anywhere else for that matter) would agree in conducting 2 day OWD courses without confined water training.

There might be a discongruity here in that "confined water" does not equal absolutely "swimming pool". I note that LK said "pool" and you replied using "confined water".

My understanding is that the sea can be used so long as it meets certain criteria (have to go to my manual for the exact wording).

That's right, "confined open water" is an option. All the same though 2 days is too short for am open water course, but I've only seen it done here amongst the single man shops.

Dont want to be accused of pattaya bashing on the wrong thread, but i have witnessed this personallynumerous times over a long period with several different instructors.
Pressure from the management I think, that in turn maybe something to do with the rapid turnover of instructors at this shop.

There might be a discongruity here in that "confined water" does not equal absolutely "swimming pool". I note that LK said "pool" and you replied using "confined water".

My understanding is that the sea can be used so long as it meets certain criteria (have to go to my manual for the exact wording).

Personally I prefer to use the term "confined water". Confined water can be a swimming-pool or any other body of water that has "pool-like" conditions.
I have done "confined" water training with my dive students off the beach (on very-very calm days) and in some shallow fresh water quarries as well.

Dive South East Asia in Pattaya, they do it all the time, never do pool training, just 2 short days on the boat and away you go.

Just had a look at their website. This is what it says:
Open Water + Advanced (5 days, 5 pool + 9 ocean dives) 28000

This likely means a 3-day OWD course (with the 5 pool "dives") and a 2-day AOW course.

Are you sure they do the OWD course in just two days without any confined water (pool) training???

Are you sure they do the OWD course in just two days without any confined water (pool) training???

100% sure, seen it loads of times, and the instructors are given grief from above if they take more than 2 days to complete the OWC.
Judging by the prices you have seen on their website, it is way out of date. Their actual procedure is OWC - 2 days, 4 ocean dives, AOW - 3 days, (2 days if customer wants to) 5 ocean dives.
Things seem to be run their on a very sloppy manner, the instructors dont even have the correct work permits and visas, so it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Spending a lot of time stalking DSEA instructors are you? If they do a 4-day OW course in 2 days, why would they do a 2-day AOW course over three days.

I'm not pal with owner Joe, but LK is wrong. (Big surprise there.) I know for a fact the pool they use, which pool it is and when they use it. After all, we are neighbors.

Now why would I defend DSEA?

If they do a 4-day OW course in 2 days, why would they do a 2-day AOW course over three days.

.. LK is wrong. (Big surprise there.) I know for a fact the pool they use, which pool it is and when they use it. After all, we are neighbors.

I find it also hard to believe.
And I find it impossible to think of any OWD course schedule that would fit in just two days time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom