Open water dive PADI in Bangkok HELP!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh well...it was a 4 day course.
on day one; half a day of academics. video 1-3
on day two; pool for skills and equipment familiarisation + half a day of academics. video 4 and 5
on day 3; dives 1 and 2 + EXAM
on day 4; dives 3 and 4.

The manual was not given to us but was borrowed. We can chose to buy them though. I didn't.

I paid 9000 THB' that includes 4 nights of accomodation. The rooms are not 5-star but they are clean, no hot water, just fan but towels provided :)

oh well...it was a 4 day course.
on day one; half a day of academics. video 1-3
on day two; pool for skills and equipment familiarisation + half a day of academics. video 4 and 5
on day 3; dives 1 and 2 + EXAM
on day 4; dives 3 and 4.

The manual was not given to us but was borrowed. We can chose to buy them though. I didn't.

I paid 9000 THB' that includes 4 nights of accomodation. The rooms are not 5-star but they are clean, no hot water, just fan but towels provided :)

First of all I like to say that I'm happy for you that you enjoyed your course. You also got your OWD package for an incredibly low price. The price sounds so low to me that I wonder how the DC can make a reasonable profit out of it.

I do find it sad though that currently so many shops only take their student divers for just 1 session in the pool. It's the same here in Phuket; Open Water Course students are often being rushed through the course in a 3-day program with only ONE pool session. Not much time to "master" the skills I think or to let the student diver become comfortable with the equipment. I also feel that "borrowing" the manual isn't right. The PADI OWD manual is a great reference tool for student divers and should be included in the course price.

Yes, second day in the pool is much easier for the students, but just one day in the pool saves time and more importantly money.

I also feel that "borrowing" the manual isn't right.
Not only you feel that way, it is a gross violation of PADI standards.

I'm glad you were happy with the course, but judging by the setup: not exactly high quality.

Last edited:
I certainly hope that if PADI sends the giraffe a QA questionaire he/she mentions they let him borrow the book. We all need to play by the same rules.

That certainly shaves a bit off the price! Were the knowledge reviews completed? It is an excellent reference that you are missing out on. I wonder if their work around is to give you a bootleg copy of the OW video?

First of all I like to say that I'm happy for you that you enjoyed your course. You also got your OWD package for an incredibly low price. The price sounds so low to me that I wonder how the DC can make a reasonable profit out of it.

I do find it sad though that currently so many shops only take their student divers for just 1 session in the pool. It's the same here in Phuket; Open Water Course students are often being rushed through the course in a 3-day program with only ONE pool session. Not much time to "master" the skills I think or to let the student diver become comfortable with the equipment. I also feel that "borrowing" the manual isn't right. The PADI OWD manual is a great reference tool for student divers and should be included in the course price.

Something strange here we keep agreeing.
How do you feel about the OWC being done in 2 days with no pool training?
When i was new to diving I used my manual for reference numerous times after i had passed my course, invaluable i think to refresh yourself on those little details you forgot

I certainly hope that if PADI sends the giraffe a QA questionaire he/she mentions they let him borrow the book. We all need to play by the same rules.

Speaking of playing by the same rules, is Joe at DSEA still using instructors on tourist visa's, and without work permits?

I think any DC doing 2-day OWD courses without confined water training should be banned for life from conducting scuba training classes.

Yet again we agree????
But believe me it is going on all the time. trouble is I get criticised too much for speaking out about such instances, which maybe falsely leads me to believe others are in agreement with the bad practices.
Maybe I will start a new thread to highlight good and bad shops, to help people make more informed choices. And maybe help the bad ones see the error of their ways

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom