Open water certification in Pattaya?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero, anything you think may help, I am welcome to it!

I've written to my diver and asked for permission to pass on his email address. If he says yes, I'll PM you so that your friend can contact him directly.

When did you say your friend was thinking of coming?

Sometime in February it looks like.
Quite soon, then. February is high season on Phuket. That's when the water is flattest and the skies clearest.

In my opinion; Diving in Phuket on a bad day, is WAY better than diving in Pattaya on a good day.

In my opinion; Diving in Phuket on a bad day, is WAY better than diving in Pattaya on a good day.

Generally speaking my experience is that diving anywhere is better than Pattaya. Also more often than not, cheaper.
Going back to my last post on this thread, we all know the great nightlife and other benefits of being in Pattaya, but it is certainly not a serious dive destination, if you are staying in Pattaya I would reitterate my suggestion of travelling to Koh Chang to dive for a few days. It still has some nightlife and the diving in Feb will be far better.
Last time I was down there an open water course was available (with a little bargaining) from about 12000bt, the average cost in Pattaya would seem to be about 16000bt. The 4000bt saving on the diving will easilly pay for your return travel to the island, and I dare say there will be enough left for a drink or two.
If you do decide on Koh Chang I can recommend Scuba Evolution, they are situated on the south end of white sands, I have always received a good professional service from these guys. But there are numerous other shops around the island should you want to check them out first. Just beware some of the smaller shops use 'communal' boats and they can at times get a little crowded.

Pattaya is actually a very good place to do an Open Water course. As new divers are more focused on themselves, their skills and getting things right, perfect conditions are not at the top of the priority list. As I'm sure Arizona would agree, the sites in Pattaya are not terribly challenging and more ideal for new divers than experienced ones. Once certified then, for sure, take off around Thailand and elsewhere and see what other places have to offer. But, unless you're on a liveaboard, the sites OW divers will be doing in Phuket will not be terribly different from what Pattaya has to offer.

Also, tell your friend that we can offer a 10% discount if he mentions your Scubaboard ID when booking with us at AquanautsDive.com

Feels odd having you reference me, but I only partially agree. There are more challenging sites as well for advanced divers including wrecks. If you have the time, Phuket clearly is a great choice to dive this time of year. Vis and the amount of marine life you will see is not comparable to Pattaya area diving. If getting certified is not your main priority and you are wanting to visit Pattaya by all mean consider completing your cert there. How much time and diving do you want to do? Very good dive options in each location IMO.

I am now doing a DM course at one of the Pattaya based shops. For OW certification I would not recommend Pattaya/Sattahip. The better the Viz the less stressful the learning environment for a lot a of people. I hardly remember anything of my OW course in terms of marine life I saw. I was totally focused on getting the skills done, and managing everything during the tour portions. If the only diving that your freind will do is getting the cert, then go where the viz will be the best. The viz in Pattaya is never very good.

I am now doing a DM course at one of the Pattaya based shops. For OW certification I would not recommend Pattaya/Sattahip. The better the Viz the less stressful the learning environment for a lot a of people. I hardly remember anything of my OW course in terms of marine life I saw. I was totally focused on getting the skills done, and managing everything during the tour portions. If the only diving that your freind will do is getting the cert, then go where the viz will be the best. The viz in Pattaya is never very good.

How does this compare with what you are trying to do in your DM course? Would you recommend Pattaya for the aspiring DM? Just curious. It is pretty hard to get unbiased info on here - especially regarding dive training in Thailand...

How does this compare with what you are trying to do in your DM course? Would you recommend Pattaya for the aspiring DM? Just curious. It is pretty hard to get unbiased info on here - especially regarding dive training in Thailand...

It's easy to get unbiassed opinions.
Generally speaking simply ignore those that have a financial interest in diving.
I completely agree with earlier comments regarding the viz and conditions in Pattaya. Despite some shops pitching viz in excess of 20m, in all my years of diving in the area I think you can count on 1 hand the number of days where I have experienced viz in excess of 10m, in my experience an average would be around 5m and many times I have experienced significantly less than that.
I would say to any diver not only open water students. If you are serious about diving best just avoid the area all together.

Back
Top Bottom