Open water certification in Pattaya?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drvngcrzy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a friend that is in Iraq that plans on taking his vacation to Pattaya, Thailand. He is interested in getting his Open water certification while there.

I have started to see that Pattaya is not ideal, probably even less so for OW cert, so is there a location close to Pattaya that would be better for him?

Any recommendations for Dive shops, locations, hotels, and anything else would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I went wreck diving in Sattahip Thailand just south east of Pattaya with Arizona on Thai-owned boat. Maybe he'll pop onto this thread and offer good and rational recommendations.

But if flying all the way to Thailand for a vacation, why not make a simple connection to Phuket and get some great diving? In terms of nightlife, I would think Phuket has some of the same types of entertainment as Pattaya but the access to great daytime activities is much better. Correct me if I'm wrong.

sounds like great advice from bj.
Particularly this time of year South Thailand has some superb diving to offer, I certainly would not travel to Pattaya or samae san, if the intention of my trip was diving.
But if you are set on going to Pattaya why not take a trip out for a few days to Koh Chang, the diving there is also at its best this time of year, from Pattaya it is quite easy and inexpensive to get there and the diving, whilst not up to the standards of South Thailand is infinitely better than what you will see around the Pattaya area.
For The little effort and expense taken to get there you will be well rewarded.

Pattaya is fine for scuba as well, granted the vis will not be nearly as good. This time of year really favors Phuket. A lot of good options. A flight as bjexpat mentions is only about an hour. Check out Bangkok Air. For diving your friend could start out with e-Learning to maximize diving and holiday time regardless if they choose Pattaya or another location. Many good choices in each location.

Thanks for the information. I will ask him if he is open to traveling to any other Thailand locations.

Also, his trip will be sometime in February, in case that makes a difference as to what location(s) are better for that time.

Drvngcrzy, your buddy is lucky to have you to help him figure out where in Thailand to go for his dive training. Before learning to dive, a good share of R&R visitors from Iraq and Afghanistan go to Pattaya. If diving becomes an important aspect of their stays, many of them do in fact switch to Phuket. I've had several students/divers in the same situation as your friend, and in fact one of my Iraq-based divers is planning a return to Phuket in a few weeks for both diving and entertainment. One week of each. I could ask my customer to respond to the questions your friend has, from the point of view of somebody in his same situation, if you want.

From what I am seeing from this board, if it was me I would not be going to Pattaya unless it was a stopover. Sounds like the diving there is OK, but not as good as other places close by. He does have other things planned to do while on vacation and wants to fit in SCUBA after all of my talk about diving.

I told him even if Pattaya is much worse than Phuket or some other place (and I am not saying it is), it will still be 100 times better than the quarry I learned to dive in at 55 degrees in Ohio!

Much worse is a relative term as you indicate. There are shielded areas making diving possible all year round in Pattaya. New OW student divers will be kept relatively shallow in which good vis is likely. Booking things while in Thailand is also a good option. Perhaps checkout both places... Do the training in Pattaya and if he gets the diving bug consider fun diving in Phuket after the cert. It all depends on what your friend wants to do and how much travel he wants during holiday.

Safe diving,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom