Open Water Cert in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lwalker

Reaction score
While in Thailand, my husband and I would love to get our open water certification. We've read all about so many locations - here is what our ideal location would be:

Really, an island like Boracay, if you've ever been there. Comfortable, romantic lodging that is very reasonable. Nice beaches, not too crowded (but not deserted) - with a lot of local flavor. This location (unlike Boracay) would need to have decent diving as well! This may be an unrealizable dream... :D

Because we will be unable to dive below 18m, many top sites are off limits to us in our inexperience; for example: Hin Daeng and Hin Muang... so staying a far south as Koh Ngai (as wonderful as it sounds) would be wasted on us. The coastline near the Similans (Koh Lak and that area) sounds okay, but *really* pricey. But again, would we be wasting our time in the Similans as we'd only be able to go 18m? Maybe we should save that for future years. Phuket and Krabi just sound painful as far as tourism goes... although the diving around Koh Phi Phi, etc sounds like it might be good for our first OW dives? Right now, I'm thinking Koh Lanta might be our best bet.

Okay - lay it on me! What advice can you offer a beginner on her honeymoon? :) If you suggest a location, can you please also give recommendations on accomodations (maybe describe them a bit) & dive shops. By the way - we'll there around the 3rd week in January. Thanks!!

lwalker

My wife and I have been to Thailand 4 times on holiday so the following may be of some use to you.

We learnt to dive in Krabi where we stayed at Railei Beach. Very nice and some of the dive shops on Ao Nang beach had operations on West Railei. I can personally recommend Phra Nang Divers, where I did my OW cert. I think their web site is www.pndivers.com

We've also stayed in and dived from Phuket. We've stayed up on Bang Tao Bay - very very nice but not close to any diving and also on Kata Beach - good local diving and easy access to the dive boats leaving from Chalong Harbour to visit the offshore sites such as King Cruiser wreck/Anemone Reef/Shark Point/ Koh Racha Yai/Koh Racha Noi. On Kata beach I can personally recommend Phuket Scuba Club where I did my AOW - www.phuket-scuba-club.com

Phuket is not as bad as it's made out but there are parts to avoid such as Patong. Kata Beach was nice.

We've also stayed on Phi Phi at what use to be the Palm Beach Resort on the North East side of the island - this is well away from the main drag where all the boats come in. This was a very nice resort with a nice beach. It has a dive operation but on that occasion we hadn't yet learnt to dive. We have dived around Phi Phi and it was very good. Excellent vis and lots to see.

For a general web site about Thailand try: www.sawadee.com

As OW divers you will be limited to 18 metres but most of the sea life is not that deep. You could always do your OW and AOW back to back which is what my wife did ths year.

Any other questions I suggest you PM me.

regards

Back
Top Bottom