Open Source Instruction for Entry Level Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are right Bob. Issuing a C-card is not a priority or a deal breaker. I wouldn't know why we would just go with already certified divers. I don't understand that concept in removing that reward incentive to our volunteers. Part of having a class with higher athletic and safety standards is simply for the safety of the challenged adults that these people will oversee in other sports programs like golf. I know it sounds disconnected, but its all about basic athletic principles to strive to be the best. We have been taught by the major agencies that being in shape and having great water ability is not important to diving, anyone can dive with moderate ability. Sure, they can, I have done more than my share of swimming rescues in a variety of sports, (like having two deep water head concussion unconscious spinal patients at the same time during a swim meet and one spine board) and if you are going to care for another person sailing, swimming or scuba, you need to be a capable rescuer. Our volunteers will be caring for challenged adults on, in and around the water and in typical on land sports and we want them to be something the community would expect. We want quality in our volunteers, not quantity.

And years ago I did point out some obvious flaws in the programs of big agencies and got heckled by about 90% of the people with only a few people who actually tested the different methods and then agreed. I learned that it was just too time consuming, so why waste the time.

Excellent point, a good case for open source where we can hear opinions from all around the world instead of the few who believe they can decide for us all.

If it came across as I can not use an existing agency, what I meant is that I can not have an exclusive business contract with any one particular agency. The percentage or amount of what goes in and out is not as important as the principles behind what you do. And as far as being restricted, there is one agency that lets you neither add or subtract from the course, period. Another larger one is more flexible, and another has information that I am uncomfortable with. You are correct that if no agency is involved and I make no mention of their name, logo or material, I am once again simply participating in sports. If I want to give a recommendation for the swimming component that has a more athletic standard I can. If I want to say, who cares about swimming I can.

There are several good textbooks out there that are "open source" ... Jeppeson's Open Water and Advanced Scuba Diver books are readily available through Amazon, for example ... and Scuba Diving, by Dennis Graver. I used the former for my YMCA class, in fact, and the latter for researching information I could supplement my own curriculum.

As a NAUI instructor, I usually add content to my classes ... my AOW class, in fact, is composed almost entirely of material I have written. What I must do is make sure that whatever material I use complies with NAUI standards (which I see as a GOOD thing) ... but there is nothing that prevents me from adding content I feel helps my students become better divers. All of my classes use supplemental materials that are not NAUI supplied, and teach skills that NAUI doesn't mandate that I teach. All of it is designed to help my students become more proficient in the environment in which they are being trained. All agencies give you some flexibility ... as they must in order to accommodate the different environments in which we dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I do like Dennis Gravers work. In the early days he developed a program for a very large Diver organization and at that time he had reccomendations such as "establish and maintain high standards for underwater instructors". If you started to look through the yearly changes of that organization you will see how it ended up stimulating the formation of the RSTC and the desire for ANSI oversight. Dennis Graver left that organization after critical pedagogy disagreements with that organization. Some of the changes included no longer requiring instructors to have recognized safety and life saving certifications from outside agencies and reducing the athletic skill components. When I quizzed this organization about the deletions that directly contradicted their standards they gave me answer that it was too hard for some people to obtain these certifications. For example, to be a master instructor you needed to be certified from an outside agencies to teach and certify students in lifesaving (not lifegarding), first aid and CPR. This is what inspired me to start teaching first aid, cpr, lifesaving and lifeguarding for the Red Cross and the YMCA an through the course of my time as a scuba instructor I have successfully resuscitated a swimmer that had drowned after almost an hour of CPR. I have come to the aid of traffic accident victims just outside the scuba classroom and by co-incidental contact with tradgedy, I went on to become a Paramedic / firefighter. High standards in my scuba course led to training that led to other training. I would witness that Dennis Gravers original program resulted in lives being saved through the pathway of training he inspired. I miss his scuba quizzes that appeared in a magazine, as I would frequently argue about their structure. I do like teaching NAUI programs, but now that I see the widespread use of online training and the deletion of the instructor in the classroom by all the major organizations, I think it is time to leave the shallow waters of single agency viewpoints and get a global perspective that includes the best, brightest and most importantly the people with lots to learn who bring quizzical ways to look at information that some of us old dogs no longer question.

And as far as being restricted, there is one agency that lets you neither add or subtract from the course, period.
This misunderstanding has been discussed frequently on ScubaBoard. If I were in your situation, I would not feel restricted by any agency. Period. I can explain it for you if you want more details.
I do like teaching NAUI programs, but now that I see the widespread use of online training and the deletion of the instructor in the classroom by all the major organizations, I think it is time to leave the shallow waters of single agency viewpoints and get a global perspective that includes the best, brightest and most importantly the people with lots to learn who bring quizzical ways to look at information that some of us old dogs no longer question.
And what is stopping you from adding those materials to any existing program now? There are all sorts of ways you can do it within any agency's standards. I am a PADI instructor, and I don't have any problems myself.

When the Home Page web site is completed, I will be putting up widget that will allow people to add course content that is in the public domain. I have one working right now at the bottom of my homepage. You can post a link, describe it and it stays as a reference for anyone. I have set up server space and subdomains for anyone to get free website hosting space once they register with our nonprofit as a volunteer we call a "Mate". For examle the AUSI information from Austrailia. Anything that is free and in the public domain. Not to slight scuba, but sailing will be first, as this is where most of my volunteers will need training so they can assist with a sailing team to be entered into the special olympics. Scuba will not be the only sport we will open source. The widgets, and there is one working right now make it possible for anyone to author content. Since other people are the authors and this is free for anyone to post (like this great site scubaboard) I have to disagree with a previous post of yours and defend it as being open source.

You might want to check the standards of the agency that you teach for about adding or deleting content. You may not do either. Yes, I would like you to explain to me how you can provide content that is not of your agency and call it a course taught under that agencies certification. Now that I think about it, you would have to announce "Ok students, class is over put away everything connected with your XYZ course and class is dismissed". In the next breath.... Before you leave, would anybody like to stay for the ABC class about to start? And do this each time you bring in other material to the course. You still would not be able to change the agency course by adding or deleting.

You started this topic on multiple threads with zero posts. Today, just days later, you're up to 65. Keep it up and before long people will start to think (based on post count) that you actually have a clue what you're talking about. :D

hahahaha, thanks, I appreciate the candor! Do you think that might happen this week? How will I know if I know what I am talking about?

You might want to check the standards of the agency that you teach for about adding or deleting content. You may not do either.

That is the common belief ... but it is not factually correct. A PADI instructor can add content ... they can even test students based on that content. What they cannot do is fail a student who doesn't "pass" the added content objectives, if that student meets all criteria set by PADI for that particular class.

This has been discussed many times here on ScubaBoard over the years ... and there are those who are way more qualified than me that can explain it in more detail if you like.

There are many PADI instructors ... some who I've worked with in the past ... who regularly add content to their classes.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom