Open Source Instruction for Entry Level Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are several reasons. The first is for a reward for volunteers at our nonprofit, open source or not. The next is because I really disagree with taking the instructor out of the classroom and replacing him with online instruction. Why come up with an open source online course if I am against it? Well if there is a very good online course, and it is free, it takes lessens the motivation to be agency specific. Next it improves the safety of all divers if they have a source that crosses the boundry of countries and agencies. My goal isn't producing certifications, it is providing a high quality activity, and not being the walmart of certifications but a small and focused organization that by advances the sport. The online education is also consistant with the paperless, automated nonprofit the eliminates the fat cats running most non profits. Did you know that in 2008 Gloria Pace King was paid 1.2 million dollars by the United Way for that year and she was in a league of 50 others in that range? What does this have to do with open source? As the father of a challenged child with limited opportunity I am disgusted by this and want to change it, and being consistant with our sports program is part of it. I hope I didnt get too muddled.

Yes it is, we would actually prefer them to get the course for free with enough volunteer time. They will always have the option to pay more for diving and get another certification. We might run a regular agency certification program at some point, and enroll the students under the experienced diver program, but right now, we don't see a need. If we did that, it would only be for the fees charged by those agencies. In our point of view, fees that could go towards serving physically or mentally challenged members of the community.

[h=2]Is it time to dump the big scuba agency monopolies for onlinie instruction?[/h]
The big agencies offer online instruction. There is always room for more quality instruction, GUE and UDT are two that come to mind.

There is no reason to dump the big agencies, they have a training program that has turned out hundreds of thousands of divers. They do what they do well. They get a non diver into the water quickly while offering lots of follow up courses for those that want to improve their skills. There is always room for a specialty niche that offers what they do not. I havent seen anything that would replace them.

I have taken CMAS/YMCA, PADI and scientific diver courses. I really don't see the need for another agency that will offer something the mainstream agencies don't, but if you want to start one, have at it. It took GUE a long time to get semi-mainstream and they are just now offering an open water certification.

I agree that they do have their place and they will never go away. If students are going to learn online, why not use the power of the connected global community and combine the best talents ideas and techniques so that it is a free and open resource for everyone? Big agencies and any diver could use it or ignore it. Imagine what a great course could be developed with just part of the talent in these boards? And with google translate there is no reason not to get global input. Cumbersome bureaucracies of certification agencies make them slow to decide on changes and adopt them. Public forums can let people know what works, what fails and what is wrong for them and maybe what might be an inspiration to be more motivated and intrigued.

What you say is true enough, some of these are people who can't afford the sport, some can, and their only dive experience might just be with us. For some people just doing their open water is all they want to do, and with our group, they would be glad to do that. $450 for the course, then $200 equipment $500 for the open water including hotel and travel. Sometimes its a couple hundred less. But for some people even a $300 investment is something pretty significant..... like the 90% of people in the USA earning $50,000 and less.

First of all, as the former executive director of a nonprofit, I have no idea what you are talking about when you say your are not permitted to use an existing agency.

Next, when you talk about profits going to agencies, I also don't know what you are talking about. Only a very small percentage of the cost of scuba instruction goes to the agency. All the rest goes to the operator providing the instruction--and that would be you.

Finally, your contention (I can't remember which thread it was in) that you are restricted in what you can teach by the agency is misinformation. You can pretty much do whatever you want in your situation.

What you say is true enough, some of these are people who can't afford the sport, some can, and their only dive experience might just be with us. For some people just doing their open water is all they want to do, and with our group, they would be glad to do that. $450 for the course, then $200 equipment $500 for the open water including hotel and travel. Sometimes its a couple hundred less. But for some people even a $300 investment is something pretty significant..... like the 90% of people in the USA earning $50,000 and less.
Not everyone in the world should learn to dive...Either the person can afford it or not. Hell, i would like to have a private jet to use any time I wish and that ain't gonna happen! Also what is the use for someone to learn to dive and get certified if they cannot afford to actually GO diving or own equipment? Seems like a waste of time and energy to me. Do activities that you can afford to do and do it well.Stay away from activities that you do not have the time /resources to do ..Earn $50,000 or a bit less and you can certainly afford to dive and own quality gear..Its all where your priorities lie.

If it came across as I can not use an existing agency, what I meant is that I can not have an exclusive business contract with any one particular agency. The percentage or amount of what goes in and out is not as important as the principles behind what you do. And as far as being restricted, there is one agency that lets you neither add or subtract from the course, period. Another larger one is more flexible, and another has information that I am uncomfortable with. You are correct that if no agency is involved and I make no mention of their name, logo or material, I am once again simply participating in sports. If I want to give a recommendation for the swimming component that has a more athletic standard I can. If I want to say, who cares about swimming I can.

I certainly agree with not everyone in the world should learn how to dive. You present an argument based on finances, and I agree. I have simply deleted them from the equation. With modest volunteer work for the community the cost is reduced by 1/5. (they volunteer for twice the hours in the course) When they volunteer more to help the community they can reduce the cost to zero. Knowing where your priorities lie is great, having them in the right place is something else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom