Open Source Instruction for Entry Level Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awetmedic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi, Our aquatic nonprofit would like to put together an open source entry level scuba course. There seems to be lots of sites such as NOAA, DCIEM, US NAVY and other gov't agencies around the world that has scuba information in the public domain that we can use to teach scuba. The question is, how would a collaborative public effort shape a scuba course? Our volunteer nonprofit that supports challenged adults through sports, would like to find out. We have set up a database that you can post links in, and a forum to post information. You can email files, post links or just read the material so far.

We also have test creation software if you would like to create tests.

Thanks, I am wide open to suggestions.
Alan Kindree

Hi, Our aquatic nonprofit would like to put together an open source entry level scuba course. There seems to be lots of sites such as NOAA, DCIEM, US NAVY and other gov't agencies around the world that has scuba information in the public domain that we can use to teach scuba. The question is, how would a collaborative public effort shape a scuba course? Our volunteer nonprofit that supports challenged adults through sports, would like to find out. We have set up a database that you can post links in, and a forum to post information. You can email files, post links or just read the material so far.

We also have test creation software if you would like to create tests.

Thanks, I am wide open to suggestions.
Alan Kindree
In the 60s people taught themselves from books. Scuba clubs hold classes all the time. Seems like the answer to your question is already out there. The real question you should be asking, though, is whether your students will be able to dive anywhere other than with your club/group. If you can get a legitimate certification then your students will be able to get gas anywhere and dive anywhere. If not, then you'll have to decide whether it's worth the effort of setting up such a course.

I'd say a better solution is to partner with one of the certifying agencies to see what they'll accept for "reduced fees" or something like that and get an instructor willing to donate their time or that you can put on payroll, if that's an option.

I have a compressor and I don't mind filling tanks, come on over!

There are over 50 scuba certification agencies right now that I can find without looking too hard, there are no special requirements to issue a card. If the students who finish the course want to pay all the fees to another organization to get their card, they can enter as an experienced diver and get a card from a major organization from one of our instructors. The high fees of scuba courses have killed the sport.

Sorry, I didn't hit reply. I have a compressor, be glad to fill your tank for free, come on over.

With online scuba instruction, there is no instructor present. The money goes to the agency and not the diveshop or independent instructor. Online instruction, once it is set up costs nothing to run and yet agencies charge from $50 to $150 and more to take a few hours of some pretty basic information. The real instructor is the guy in the pool and open water with you, not some online course.

I'm a little confused.Are you wanting to certify "challenged" people as in they have some sort of disability? I think that is a noble cause but I also think liability will be a major issue.

Also ,maybe I am reading too much into your original post,you do NOT have certified instructors that are going to do the training just train them then let them go to a certified instructor and get a card?

I might have read your original post wrong.

From a quick check I found over 50 agencies that issue scuba cards. Many now cut the academic fees out of the independent instructors pocket and go with online instruction. The real instructor is the one in the pool or open water with you. Is it time to dump the idea of agency certification altogether?

I am putting together a free open source online scuba class at Home Page , comments? I have been teaching for decades and don't plan to teach under the big agencies for entry level. If a diver wants to pay the extra fees then they can enter as an experienced diver and pay the fees. I expect a lot of static from this.

Who is insuring your training program? What instructors will accept your training and referrals? What shops and resorts will honor your cards? Just asking as I'm sure you have all this in place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom