Open heel fin sizes - do they take into account the booties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDelage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
All - do most open heel fin sizes take the booty into account? I can't imagine anyone diving with those fins and no boots but maybe I just lack imagination...

Thanks,

JD

Depends on the brand and how wide your foot/boot is, best to try them out first.

Bob
-------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

As noted you need to try the fins with the booties.

I have a flexible pair of size 9 booties. I have gotten a more rigid size nine to use in colder water and on rougher terrain. The old fins do not fit these new booties so am getting another pair of fins for them.

There are huge differences in boots with the same foot size. For instance 7mm boots are bigger than 3mm boots. You match fins to the boots and not the foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, always need the boots - most open heeled fins are damn uncomfortable without them, although some specific OH fins are designed to be worn with bear feet.

In our experience, most open heeled fins do not come in actual sizes like their closed heel counterparts. Generally, you'l find they come in S, M, L, XL etc and its just a case of trying them with with the booties to find the one that's right for you. An inch/inch and a half of your heel protruding past the back of the fin is normally about right.

Back
Top Bottom