OOG Brief in Mixed Teams?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They can grab my necklaced reg if that's what they really want to do. With a moderate tug it's going to release from the bungee, and ducking my head will release the hose from behind my neck ... and one of the beauties of the sidemount rig is that the hose would then be long enough for a donee to use anyway ... particularly on a swivel first stage like I use. It won't be as convenient for the dive buddy as going for the long hose, but in most cases (assuming we're not in a restriction) it'll work. As for me, I've got my long hose rigged so that I can reach it and breathe off of it even while it's clipped. So I'd just use it myself. It's not the most comfortable of situations, but enough to give me that few seconds I'd need to get it deployed and sort things out with the dive buddy ... or begin an ascent if the situation seems like the easiest solution would be to just let them continue breathing from my left tank while I go with the long hose myself.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'll just throw in my usual 2 cents or non-cents. Any briefing for an emergency that starts with "if" should be avoided at all costs. The long hose/short hose issue is a remnant from backmount manifolded doubles. The long hose was always the one in your mouth. The person needing air would always go for the one in your mouth, and that was the one you donated. It all made perfect sense. Along came sidemount (long after backmount independent twins, but that's a different issue) and the powers that be decided to force the square peg into the round hole instead of stepping back and examining the human behavior aspect. When diving with 2 independent tanks and periodically switching regs, there is really no reason to not be diving with 2 long hoses. It is easier to work out the hose routing for the person diving it than it is to change the behavior that an OOG diver is going to grab the one in your mouth, or that you have to think about which one to donate because you don't immediately know which one you are breathing from. Human nature is what it is. And it is very difficult in the best of circumstances during a team briefing to recognize that if you approach the guy in the black drysuit, you take the one from his mouth, but for the guy in the blue drysuit, you take the one clipped over his right shoulder. Now try thinking that through in a true emergency.

Dive with two long hoses and it all becomes a non-issue.

How do you route 2 LH without an issue when deploying them kwinter? And also without having changes of snagging.

I've thought of doing that, but can't find a way that works, hence I stick with LH + SH, as I believe we should all have redundancy anyway...

Get creative. Make it your own responsibility to configure instead of the "victim's" responsibility to alter behavior. Personally, I stuff the hoses rather than wrapping. But that comes from bailouts on a rebreather and I'm sure there's s better way.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

I always get the same response of.... "well if i'm OOG, i'm just gonna grab what's in your Mouth" even after i've explained the process.

But they should be thinking of primary donate instead of primary take. Or are they, as TSandM mentioned, afraid you won't notice they are OOG?
In a no-viz situation maybe have a touch signal for OOG?

It is easier to work out the hose routing for the person diving it than it is to change the behavior that an OOG diver is going to grab the one in your mouth, or that you have to think about which one to donate because you don't immediately know which one you are breathing from. Human nature is what it is.

The behaviour, especially in twinset divers should be to ask for gas. But I agree that it can take a few moments for the SM diver to recognize which reg they're breathing from and donate accordingly.
Still, it may be possible to breathe from the short hose and then sort things out.

Back
Top Bottom