• never

Votes: 91 67.4%
  • it will never hapen to me

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • i always push my luck

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't actaully run out, because I never turned it on! I was fairly new to diving, we were on a charter. I was all excited, my gear was all set up and waiting. Naturally, when the time came I was ready, or so I thought. I got in line to enter the water, only to wait for the rest of my party, and jumped in. My eyes were as big as Frisbies when I broke the surface. A loud breathing in sound filled the air. I managed to get to the ladder, they could tell! So much for blending in.........It was a learning experience....................
Wreck/Tec

Yes, once, long ago in a different technological age. The event was a zen experience, but it ended with nothing more than me gaining a semi-exciting story to scare newbies with - anyone who ever dove a J-valve knows the essence of the story.

FredT makes a really good point: "improvements" in technology can be double-edged swords. Before relying upon any device that extends your skills you need to be certain that you have the capacity to survive the failure of that machine. Training, planning and redundancy are what allow young divers to become old divers - not fancy technotoys.

Although some of the toys are pretty cool...

Steven

In my 30 years of diving, I have never run out of air.
My first season was without an SPG, just a J valve, the restriction in breathing inidcated we were low, so the dive was terminated. The next season (1973) I bought an SPG and have never run out of air, not in 1000+ dives.

someone bubbled:" I have an OOA on almost every dive.... sometimes twice!
... and so does my buddy.... and ya just never know when!! Once, we both did it at the same time... that was worth a burst of bubbles and a grin!!"

I hope hope you're kidding. Cause if you're not, let me know where you dive, what ocean and hemisphere, I want to be on the opposite side of the planet.

Mike D
:blfish:

mddolson once bubbled...

someone bubbled:" I have an OOA on almost every dive.... sometimes twice!
... and so does my buddy.... and ya just never know when!! Once, we both did it at the same time... that was worth a burst of bubbles and a grin!!"

I took it as that they were practicing OOA's.

I'm a careful diver but in the last year I've

- jumped in with my air off (as a DM trainee)
- had a first stage failure (I was lucky to survive that one, buddy wasn't nearby)
- had a tank o-ring blow on me at night with loss of air
- OOA at the safety stop when my rental gauge said I had 20 bar (should have been at surface anyway)
- nearly OOA on deco stop after stupid dangerous dive guide took us too deep/too long and we went into unplanned deco, I had just about enough to do required stops. stupid of me too to let it happen but I wasn't too experienced at the time and you don't expect something like that. I think I was narked too.

I've learnt to do the proper checks before a dive and never to break my own rules!

Knock on wood, not yet, but I have dished out the octo on a few occasions.

Thanks for the poll

I've donated twice and surfaced once with about 100 psi after completing a full safety stop but that is the closest I ever came (one of the donation dives).

annie once bubbled...
I'm a careful diver but in the last year I've

- jumped in with my air off (as a DM trainee)
- had a first stage failure (I was lucky to survive that one, buddy wasn't nearby)
- had a tank o-ring blow on me at night with loss of air
- OOA at the safety stop when my rental gauge said I had 20 bar (should have been at surface anyway)
- nearly OOA on deco stop after stupid dangerous dive guide took us too deep/too long and we went into unplanned deco, I had just about enough to do required stops. stupid of me too to let it happen but I wasn't too experienced at the time and you don't expect something like that. I think I was narked too.

I've learnt to do the proper checks before a dive and never to break my own rules!

I too have headed in without my air on...but I'm pretty sure we all do that only one time. The same stands for jumping in with no weight belt on. As for the OOA or unplanned deco, I hope you hvae learned your lesson of air-managment. The main thing is to learn and move on. If you continue making these mistakes, maybe you should get a new buddy or some additional training.

>>As for the OOA or unplanned deco, I hope you hvae learned your lesson of air-managment. The main thing is to learn and move on. If you continue making these mistakes, maybe you should get a new buddy or some additional training.<<

Well like I said in my post, I've learnt from it, it would be pretty worrying if I didn't. I've my own gauge which I always look at while purging the reg during buddy check. The unplanned deco thing . . well I still don't have deco training. . .would like to in case I ever accidently find myself in that situation again.
Most of the above stuff happened in Indonesia while travelling - no regular buddy, different operators - well now I think that diving while travelling around is very risky unless you really know what you're doing and can really look after yourself.

out of Air

will happen when you are least expectning it !
it will sneek up behind you and say boo and yes i have had that feeling of breathing through that small straw . nope it isnt fun, and it can be scairy.
some of us who work under water for a living are in constant face to face scenairos with a vast number of things. our limited time on bottem means that sometimes we have to take some kind of risk to get a job done , lets just hope that you remember to fall back on your training and to practice some things often. like a free flowing reg, or perhaps your mouth piece will devolp a tear or the exaust diaphram has an obstruction and you have several wet breth's or an OOA . thanks to all who replyed , and will reply in the future. had have a safe dive but most of all have fun !
Rob

Back
Top Bottom