OOA experiences/practice/question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember a funny OOA story from my first dive class.
Me and anouther student swam out into about 15 feet of water with the instructor. The instructor says ok lets go down. As soon
as I get under is see a guy giving the OOA hand sign!! I notice
he has his snorkle in not his reg!!
:) When we got to the surface We all laughed even the instructor who tryed to deep water snorkle :haha:

Rick L

I had my first OOA experience tonight [sorta]. I turned my dive with about 750 psi left. Heading back to the beach I was working on my frog kicks, while also practicing switching to my redundant reg. Breathe, Breathe, Spit, Stuff, Clear, Breathe, Breathe, Spit, Stuff, Clear, Brea... Uh.. huh?

I look at my SPG. 500 psi. Take another breath... half air again... Look at my SPG. 500 psi.

Take another breath, and watch the psi drop to zero, stop breathing, it goes back up to 500.

Well, it's about time to ascend anyway, so I work my way up, breathing as slow as possible so I can get a full breath, and slowly work my way back to the beach.

The whole swim [not too far] I stare at my SPG @ 500 psi, and think it's just _really_ strange.

So I'm finally gearing down, and I go to turn off my air...

At least I now know exactly what causes such a thing! When I turn on my air, I crack the bottle just slightly, so my 1st and second stages don't get slammed. Right after I cracked it, the Environmental Police stopped by and we had a little chat "Yep, I hope to be lobster diving!" "vis isn't very good? Was it pretty rough last night?" "Yea. here's my license"...

When I went through my gear check, I verified my air was on the same way I always do... breathe off all my regs and watch the SPG to see if it drops at all. I never finished turning on my air!

Just shows the need to have the drill ingrained so that you don't miss out a key component - in this case turning your air on fully!

The first time I went diving was on a 3 day trip out on the GBR north of Cairns. I was out there for snorkling and hadn't really thought of diving...

I guess they did what you'd call a resort course or something on the boat. It went something like this -- watch a short video and answer a couple of questions the night before. The next morning we were dumped off the side of the boat with the instructor an "ex navy seal". Went down to the hang bar and practiced a few things. Then went swimming around...

At 21m I ran out of air! :eek:

This was my first dive, I felt it getting too difficult to breathe, signalled, ran out and switched to the instructors air supply. We ascended, did a safty stop and had to fin quite a ways on the surface to get back to the boat...

Looking back there are so many things wrong with that dive! Of course at the time I knew nothing other than you shouldn't hold your breath! Strangely enough it didn't turn me off from diving. I did one more dive off that boat the next day, and 2 more 4 months later.

It wasn't until 3 years later that I actually got certified and learned how much was really wrong with that dive!! I guess fortunately I'm a pretty calm person in most situations.

I got to practice OOA on my first dive :eek:ut:

ascent from 50'. This was years ago, when such things were included in "advanced" classes. It was pretty eye-opening, especially when I did my "flare" at 15', and found myself sinking back down again......it's hard to blow bubbles when you've got no bubbles to blow....

I've had one "sorta" OOA of my own, when my primary regulator failed while fighting a heavy current at 70' (I was on an older reg, and i literally "sucked" the exhaust valve through the port). Unable to get enough air, even when flowing the reg, I picked up my octopus and tried to use it. It flooded as well (it went in my mouth upside down, since that was the old NASDS setup. I later found out the exhaust valve had folded over when I jumped in).

Anyway, I was only able to get air by free flowing the regulator,and it was barely enough. I signalled to my "boat buddy", who I had just met, with a slash across my throat. He did the same sign back, shrugged his shoulders, and swam away.

I made most of my ascent with the free flowing reg, but at about 30' feet, I was completely out of air. I didn't have to drop my weights, but i did have to swim up. Boy, was I pissed.

On the other hand, I was diving on a rig once and saw a big shark come right up behind another "boat buddy", this one a woman who was a pretty good diver.

I laughed, which flooded my mask, then I placed my hand on my chest to say "Boy, that gave me a heart attack".

Before I knew it, she had pulled my regulator out and was shoving her primary in my mouth. She never saw the shark. I started laughing again, which caused me to choked, which in turn, almost caused a real emergency......it took a few minutes for me to sort things out with her. She over-reacted, but I was appreciative of her quick response.

Anyway, I have witnessed a couple of OOA's, but only had that one bad experience......it's one of the reason's I'm sometimes dive solo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom