OOA at 75'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure where to begin...

Well, first, if you want to take something valuable from the this, first of all focus on what you did, not what the others did. You never will have control over the actions of others, but you can change what you do.

So about the actual dive:

1. The type of dive you are describing is one time controlled by a limiting factor... could be air, could be the no deco limits, but each member of the team needs to know which it is and when it is reached. Yourr deeper diver obviously becomes the no deco limit controller, and is most likely the to also be the gas limiting one (but not a given).

2. For the team to know when gas is limited, they each need to know who is going to run low first...and if that is the limiting factor, then that diver is controlling the dive. The best way I know how to do this is to know your buddies breathing rates, and then watch them during the dive for how they are breathing. In this case, you are not going to know that, so it means doing a couple of gauge checks during the dive (I usually do 2...well 3 if you count on the surface - one about 5 minutes in... and one just over what you expect to be around half the dive). Once you have the limiting diver, all you need to pay attention to is where their gas is and how you relate to it.

Note: you get to learn to do this really fast when you take a class out with several assistants, as you have to manage a group of divers and not just one or two.

As you are now focused on the faster air user, you also need to focus on the deeper diver.. which is easy, because it is the same person.

If, by the way, you were all at the same depth, and you have different computers, you need to ckeck each of them (unless you happen to know how liberal or conservative they are).

On the safety stop...iT'S A SAFETY STOP first and foremost. It should be the one time you have a small break to get you gear together, make your plan and relax.

And if putting your long hose back contributes to your task loading, you might want to either practice with it till you can do it in your sleep, or not use a long hose... sorry.

In general, I am not a fan of doing night dives with divers you have not dove with before and know their skill level. But if I do, I am even more concerned about their management skills than I would be during a daylight dive. Some people have difficulty reading gauges at night... some people breath a lot more at night.

I don't view it as that big of a deal. One guy screwed up, his buddy failed to keep an eye on his air and they had to ascend sharing air. S**** happens, people get carelss and all of a sudden diving gets exciting. I wonder if I will be attacked when I say that I think that if everyone was using pony bottles, the dive would have been less adventurous.

The big thing to consider is.. what if you had a total scuba failure and you had to suddenly share air with the guy who was down to 200 psi. THAT would have been exciting (unless of course you had a pony bottle).

Last edited:
BTW, doing the first stop at 15 feet is already too little too late according to research on deep stops, which you can find on the DAN website. A graduated ascent is considered best of all, with a 2 and a half minute stop at around half-depth, and graduated stops along the ascent including an extended safety stop at 20 feet. The deep stop, according to the research, "beats" the bubble rather than "treating" the bubble after the fact. Something to also consider for future dives...

You found that on the DAN web site? Where?

Lessons learned?

Well, rock bottom has already been brought up, and HERE is Bob's article on it. (Last time I looked, Lamont's article wasn't available any more.)

A dive plan might have avoided all of the issues. Dive plans don't have to be complicated; my minimum is the hard deck for the dive, the expected dive time, the expected profile including ascent strategy, who's leading, and what the likely event terminating the dive will be (time, gas, deco, cold). If you had all three agreed on a maximum depth of 100 feet (which maybe you did and the other fellow broke it, in which case you would have been well within your rights to signal him emphatically to get his rear end back up to the rest of the team) AND agreed on a gas reserve, this might not have happened at all.

With regards to losing your safety stop while task loaded, this comes with practice. You learned something about your diving (and ascents at night are challenging). For the next however many dives, practice doing a mod S drill on your safety stop, until it's a no-brainer. Then do it at night. Then do it with your eyes closed . . . or your mask off. Also, practicing doing your ascent from your safety stop in 3 foot increments improves your shallow buoyancy control a bunch.

Some good points, thanks.

I think the real life challenge is discussing all the minutae of solid dive team planning and execution with an insta-buddy who just wants to jump in the water. Especially when I turned out to be over-confident in his skill set. Remember, it was the MOST EXPERIENCED diver who went OOA of on this dive. Hmmm...

Many thanks, all.

VI

Thank you Don for linking to one of the deep stops articles on the DAN website. There are many articles on Deep stops in the medical section of that website.

You found that on the DAN web site? Where?

Only the sentence that refers to DAN and the sentence regarding deep stop research are referring to the DAN website, which are:

BTW, doing the first stop at 15 feet is already too little too late according to research on deep stops, which you can find on the DAN website.

Ayisha:
The deep stop, according to the research, "beats" the bubble rather than "treating" the bubble after the fact.

The other sentence does not refer to any website or research and is simply a compilation of various effective dive practices easily found with some agencies, articles, and on this board. That sentence is:

Ayisha:
A graduated ascent is considered best of all, with a 2 and a half minute stop at around half-depth, and graduated stops along the ascent including an extended safety stop at 20 feet.

DAN, OTH, counts the deep stop as the most important stop you can make and gives little or no value to other stops. I suspect that might be what wedivebc is referring to.

Sorry my post was a little sloppy due to being a little rushed and it's not clear what is from DAN and what's not. I think if I simply rearrange the four sentences, it will be more clear:

BTW, doing the first stop at 15 feet is already too little too late according to research on deep stops, which you can find on the DAN website. The deep stop, according to the research, "beats" the bubble rather than "treating" the bubble after the fact.

A graduated ascent is considered best of all, with a 2 and a half minute stop at around half-depth, and graduated stops along the ascent including an extended safety stop at 20 feet. Something to also consider for future dives...

There is a debate about deep stops in this months issue of DAN's ALERTDIVER magazine. Based on that article there still appears to be considerable debate about the deep stop. Almost every expert recommended following your computer, regardless if it has a deep stop algorithm, until more research is performed. One noted that deep stops may increase your chance for DCS. Of the 5 experts on the panel, only 1 currently advocates for the deep stop with NDL diving.

Basically to echo what sdiver68 said. The latest issue of Alertdiver has a write up on Deep Stops.

To summarize, if your computer does deep stops, follow. If you computer doesn't, don't add one.

Basically to echo what sdiver68 said. The latest issue of Alertdiver has a write up on Deep Stops.

To summarize, if your computer does deep stops, follow. If you computer doesn't, don't add one.
I'll read the article again, and maybe we can discuss it on a thread on Basic Scuba - but I am not going to stop doing them just because my computer is not set up to suggest them. I think they are a very good idea...!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom