Only in the good old USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If this can go this far then the guy suing the dive boat that left him should get his four mil no problem.

And we wonder why the world laughs at us.

DO NOT GO BEARING GIFTS

Two teenage girls have been fined for distressing a neighbour by leaving her home-baked cookies.

Wanita Renea Young, 49, said she thought she had suffered a heart attack after the girls knocked on her door late at night and then left.

A judge in America told Taylor Ostergaard and Lindsey Jo Zellitte to pay Ms Young more than $910 (£485) in damages and court costs.

The 18-year-old friends had baked the cookies as a surprise for several of their neighbours in Durango, Colorado.

They had decided to stay home on a Friday night and make the treats rather than go to a local dance.

Six people who also received their goodies wrote to the court thanking the girls.

But Ms Young told the small claims court she was frightened because the girls had knocked on her door and then run off.

She went to hospital the next day thinking she had suffered a heart attack.

Judge Doug Walker said he did not think the girls had acted maliciously but told them 10.30pm was late at night for them to be out.

This is so stupid. I think that 49 yr old lady should be dragged out and beaten for tieing up our legal system with such a frivoless lawsuit. And that Judge needds to get his head examined for actually awarding her anything. Doubt anyone in that nieghberhood will be doing anything nice for her for a while, like never.

Lets see, go out to the dance, do drugs, and probably not get caught; stay home and make cookies for the neighbers, get sued and pay 900 bucks. Hmmm... lets think which choice those 2 kids will make next time.

Only symptomatic of the growing stupidity of many Americans... the "dumbing" of America combined with the increasing loss of community. Now where's my soap box?

Dr. Bill

baltimoron:
psh... this CAN'T be real. I refuse to believe that.

It's real. The person who sued the girls was on DaySide (FOX) today "trying" to give her side of it.

Becky

thats what makes this the best and worst country to live in all at the same time are freedoms the best but stupid law suits that people keep winning and huge companys that keep getting bigger by --------- --- on the little guy.
thats just not right!!!!!!!!!!!

guess we should'nt get into that i would keep going and going then i'd have to scream!!!!!!!!!!!

the article said the girls were "fined," which sounds like a criminal offense. maybe
the girls were charged with some misdemeanor which carried a fine, and were also
ordered to pay victim restitution (common nowadays).

from what i read here (and there are always two sides to a story), it sounds like
the girls didn't mean any harm, and this was a waste of tax-payer's money.

this article doesn't explain the offense, but says the woman wanted punitive
damages, which sounds like a tort action to me:

http://www.borkowski.co.uk/archives/liquidsoap/003181.html

first, this woman and her husband just sound like buttmunches.

second, i wish the judge had had a pair on him and had thrown this case out.

that's just me.

I wish a judge would tell my kids 10:30 is a little late to be out.

It's like they say " No good deed goes unpunished"

TT

Back when I was a kid, this dingbat would have payed dearly. We all knew who was nice to us kids and which ones always called the cops because we were playing football in the street or whatever. Seeking vengeance was fun for us delinquents.

Who goes around knocking on their neighbor's doors at almost 11 PM with cookies?? I get upset when people call me that late :wink:

Back
Top Bottom