Online scuba stores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gunnergunzz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new diver and looking into purchasing recreational scuba equipment. I see the online stores are just so much better than LDS in price. What are the pro and con of online stores?

Thanks in advance

For only seven posts, you do know how to open a can of worms. The short answer to your question is that buying online will save you money at the expense of warranty work and guidance at a LDS. Before anyone flames on me, yes that is a big generalization and not all online sellers or LDS's are created equal.

For a really full answer to your question do a search for 'leisurepro'. Leisurepro is either an archangel or the angel of death for the scuba industry. The debates on those threads are endless and some of the illogic on display is pretty funny.

Leisurepro is probably the only online dealer that is not an authorized dealer for everything they sell. Most other shops with an online presence do that in addition to their brick and mortar business. They are authorized dealers for everything they sell and include manufacturers' warranties, as well as service for everything they sell.

Here's a list of the online shops I've bought from (in alphabetical order):

Cave Adventurers
Dive Sports
Scuba Toys
Tech Diving Limited

All of these shops sell both technical and recreational gear, some specialize in one type of gear over another, carry different manufacturers' equipment, etc., but all offer better prices than anything you'll find in a brick and mortar. I've been to all of these shops with the exception of Dive Sports, but that will be remedied sometime soon. If you want to keep your business local, get the prices from these shops and take it to your LDS to match or beat them. I'm willing to bet they won't, though.

Just don't be surprised if your LDS reacts very badly if they find you are doing business with another shop, especially an online dealer. But in MD, you should have plenty of shop to choose from so you might want to shop around, carefully, and see if any are interested in competing for your business. You should also learn very quickly which one might blackball you and your online gear if you bring up the issue of online dealer prices.

Good luck.

Leisurepro is probably the only online dealer that is not an authorized dealer for everything they sell.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

That is a complete lie. Utter and total BS. Ignore that garbage advice from someone who obviously has a vested interest in a LDS. (No one else would make such an outrageously obviously untrue statement).

LP are authorized dealers for MOST of what they sell. There are a few brands that they sell, most notably Scubapro that are not authorized. They offer their own warranty for those products.

It's amazing that some of the LBS's (Local BIKE Shops) I've dealt with don't have quite the issue with online stores. I've had one jokingly give me grief, but they will still help service and install bike components I've purchased online.... for a fee of course... as I would expect! Try that with most dive shops and you'll get shunned. Dive Shops would do well to find their niche and get the money from service and such as opportunistically as possible, even from those that purchase online. Those that can't figure that out will fail... especially in the current economic climate.

Even so, I prefer to deal with the local shops (Biking or Diving) because I like socializing with them.

That is a complete lie. Utter and total BS. Ignore that garbage advice from someone who obviously has a vested interest in a LDS. (No one else would make such an outrageously obviously untrue statement).

LP are authorized dealers for MOST of what they sell. There are a few brands that they sell, most notably Scubapro that are not authorized. They offer their own warranty for those products.

I think you took the post out of context. I don't think he meant to imply that every single item they sell, they sell unauthorized. I think he meant more of along the lines of what you are saying, that they are authorized for most of what they sell.

Scuba Gear Scuba Diving Equipment Discount dive gear and Wetsuits Cheap online

If I "had" an lds they would be it, they and vdh. It is the 21st century. BTW, scubatoys is really hard to beat unless you want something they do not sell. That is why I bought my wife a Legend and myself two Titans from LP and paid for all a fraction of what a "lds" would sell them for.

N

In your own words (which I boldfaced) you confirmed what I said, that Leisurepro is probably the only online dealer that is not an authorized dealer for everything they sell.. They are not an authorized dealer for Scubapro or Aqualung. How is my statement a lie or BS. Perhaps you'd like to explain why you think this. If not, you can just continue to look like a fool. And I never said anything about LP's in house warranties.

Also, you know nothing about any vested interests I may have in any businesses. Besides, if that was my reason for making the statement I did, then why would I list 4 online stores I've dealt with?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom