Online Nitrox Course, any difficulty in using the C card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the United States and the rest of the industrialized world, the average person, with a less than average education, would have no problem reading a Nitrox book and any manual from a Nitrox analyzer, and be quite safe to dive without a Nitrox course from an agency.

And while the instructor I had for Nitrox was well prepared and had a very comprehensive course, I obtained no new knowledge from the course that I did not read in the book. I did obtain experiance operating analyzer. That was not worth the price of the course or my time.

while I agree that understanding how to use nitrox safely is not that complicated, and many people could teach themselves quite effectively, agencies are in the business of selling courses, so of course their position is that a course is necessary.

However, it is not the agencies that are enforcing certification, they make recommendations, but the dive operations are the ones that require c-cards for a fill.

... the dive operations are the ones that require c-cards for a fill.

Depending on the location and applicable regulations, there may be a legal/liability requisite for them to do so.

Some agencies will include the issue of 'appropriate qualifications' as part of their membership agreements/standards for agency-representative dive operations.

Whilst teaching yourself may be as effective, it is not as consistently effective. Without a pre-defined syllabus and confirmation of knowledge (exam), who can predict the relative success of any given self-tuition?

I took my nitrox course through SDA. I didn't think it was bad at all, i learned what i needed to know at the level, And the card did work for me. But I have moved up the nitrox ladder and haven't carried that card in a while.

Back
Top Bottom