Online Buying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems that to me that, often enough, the techs and instructors are good. It is the part time salesfolk and pump jockeys that get me most of the time. Of course, 90% of my experience is in midwest shops. They only survive by retailing equipment for all sorts of sports(snow and water skiing, rollerblades, etc). And they ofter hire just about anybody to watch the counter. That includes making equipment recommendations. I understand this. It is an economic reality that you might not have the business volume to hire industry professionals to run the cash register. But, for goodness sake, a little more training would be in order.

NEWreckDiver:
I guess you are right about warranty; service would have been a better term. I purchased Scubapro gear. Which has a parts plan where the parts are included in the annual service, you only pay for labor. LP does not offer this.

With all due respect, you are wrong. I just had my Scuba Pro Regs (purchased at LP) in for the annual and I didn't pay for parts because they match the Scuba Pro warranty. No questions. My service was also very good and I got all the old parts back and even got to speak to the tech. Please don't take this personally, but comments like this continue to irritate me to no end. They are incorrect and uninformed and could also be considered slander said in the context of an anti LP conversation.

LP, like them or not, IS a legal business and does offer warranties. Not always (sometimes yes) from the manufacturer, but they do offer a warranty. I have used it and have been very pleased with my experience. In the future I suggest you do your homework. My comments are not made to defend LP specifically, but rather to point out that rumors aren't always true. This is a message board with many excellent opinions, not all fact.

Again, no disrespect meant to you personally. 2 other people said the same thing you did in this thread and they are wrong too.

As for sample sizes being too small to decide if the "LDS" is bad, I agree 5 isn't enough, but if MOST or ALL of the LDS's in a person's area are bad then unfortunatley for those LDS's, the sample size is LARGE ENOUGH to cause the local divers to do business online or not locally. What kills me is when I see an employee from a LDS shopping in LP. :11:

I have purchased both online and at "LDS's" and have had a good experience at ALL of them because I researched the STORE and not just its location, be it in cyberspace or otherwise. This option may not be for everyone and I respect that. It has positives and negatives that each buyer will have to look at. Now wether or not a "LDS" sells on the internet? That's a whole other issue. :wink:

Just wanted to mention that while this thread was nearly 2 years old it's amazing that the same argument is still around?

rcmcg - You may want to post to the regulator forum as you'll probably get more help there from several very knowledgable board members. - Hope you find the parts... also might contact Larry at http://www.scubatoys.com to see if he can source parts for you (I don't know, but he may know if he can't get them himself)

Aloha, Tim

P.S. If you're interested in regulator maintenance you might check out Vance Harlow's "Scuba regulator maintenance and repair" book from http://www.airspeedpress.com he's an active member on the board here as well.

Back
Top Bottom