Online Buying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattymatt

Registered
Reaction score
Couple of questions regarding online buying. If I purchase from an online store, such as Leisure Pro, do the regs and gauges come set-up? Also, if my LDS is a distributor/service site for the brand of items I ordered online, will they perform service under warranty, etc...? Or, does it have to go back to Leisure Pro?

mattymatt:
Couple of questions regarding online buying. If I purchase from an online store, such as Leisure Pro, do the regs and gauges come set-up? Also, if my LDS is a distributor/service site for the brand of items I ordered online, will they perform service under warranty, etc...? Or, does it have to go back to Leisure Pro?

If you buy online, you will probably have to attach the 2nd stage hose to the 1st stage. Anyone can do this and you only need a wrench.

You don't get a warranty if you buy online. This doesn't really matter though as the warranty is pretty much useless. (It's extremely hard to find a good shop to work on your regs.) You can send your regs back to LeisurePro for service if you choose. A lot of people just learn to service their own.

mattymatt:

I would think about this long and hard. Do you really want to buy life support gear on-line that does give you a warranty.

Personally, I would rather spend a little bit more and be able to stand in front of someone that is going to service my gear. Do you want to be just an e-mail to someone or a face.

The choice is yours.

mattymatt:

When you call them to order, ask them to set it up...I got mine set up for free.

As for warranty, I've bought from leisurepro, and have been fine with the warranty Leisurepro provides (which they say is at least as good as the manufacturer warranty).

Then again, I've not needed the warranty, and shouldn't need it even at an LDS, assuming the purchased items were assembled properly at the factory, and no defects exist in the parts they used...

NEWreckDiver:
Personally, I would rather spend a little bit more and be able to stand in front of someone that is going to service my gear. Do you want to be just an e-mail to someone or a face.

But, regardless of the warranty issue (which I don't believe is much of an issue, but reasonable minds may differ), you can still stand in front of the person servicing your gear, unless you are saying that you want to also *purchase* the item from the shop that will service it, which is an altogether different matter.

scubasean:
But, regardless of the warranty issue (which I don't believe is much of an issue, but reasonable minds may differ), you can still stand in front of the person servicing your gear, unless you are saying that you want to also *purchase* the item from the shop that will service it, which is an altogether different matter.

I guess you are right about warranty; service would have been a better term. I purchased Scubapro gear. Which has a parts plan where the parts are included in the annual service, you only pay for labor. LP does not offer this.

Another reason I wouldn’t buy on-line would be unless you live close buy, I wouldn’t want to mail the regulator in for service.

Of course these are only my personal opinions. Don’t get me wrong. I have purchased non-life support items from LP and haven’t had any problems. I only have a problem with on-line/mail order for life support gear.

Good Luck on whatever you decide.

NEWreckDiver:

The choice is yours.

Or you can buy from the LDS and watch them sweat like pigs after they have taken 4 weeks to do an annual and the reg fails TWICE, once before leaving on a trip, and they fix while you wait and the second time while you're 30 minutes into a cenote. Then they blame you for buying crappy equipment (reminding them you purchased it FROM them WITH thier recommendation), and tell you they would not dive with it, new or after they have serviced it.

chrisc:
Or you can buy from the LDS and watch them sweat like pigs after they have taken 4 weeks to do an annual and the reg fails TWICE, once before leaving on a trip, and they fix while you wait and the second time while you're 30 minutes into a cenote. Then they blame you for buying crappy equipment (reminding them you purchased it FROM them WITH thier recommendation), and tell you they would not dive with it, new or after they have serviced it.

This is exactly why I say the warranty is useless...most of the dive shops don't know how to properly service regs.

Most shops? Arguably, I suppose. Not all, though. I think I've been pretty fortunate with my regs so far.

chrisc:

Too bad you have a bad dive shop. That would suck. (no pun indended)
Maybe you should find another LDS. Good Luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom