O'neill neoprene dry suit, XTS 7/5 - advice please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey yall. I have the oneil, size large/short. Have about twenty dives on it only, and really love the suit. Very comfortable, very dry, very warm... Suit was used for diving depths of 100-130 feet in 45-50 degree water; one layer of thermals and a layer of sweats kept me toast after dives up to an hour long plus some pretty long hangs. Imoved to fl a few years ago, and have no use for it. Ill sell it for $150 just to get it out of my way. While Im at it, I also have a DUI TLS-350, size XL,telescoping torso, Covered diagonal zip with about thirty dives on it; new seals about 8-10 dives ago; also for $150.....not. Call me and make me an offer on that one. Both suits are in St pete FL

727-743-7777

vetdiver:
Just wanted to comment - this is great to hear, as I am almost always the lone neoprene drysuit diver whenever we do a local charter!! You know what, though? I have to say, I love my 7 mm neoprene drysuit. It's toasty warm.

We have a DUI event coming up in this area, and I am interested to try a crushed neoprene suit to see what it's like. Snooty, I'll bet.

I dove an ONeill for some time but switched to a great priced shell suit when the ONeill gave up the ghost. Neoprene certainly swims better, etc. than a shell. The only real downside I found to a neo suit is they can be "refrigerators" topside in the wind.

And for what it's worth ... Terrence Tysall also uses (or did) a neoprene suit.

Green_Manelishi:
The only real downside I found to a neo suit is they can be "refrigerators" topside in the wind.
They are definitely a swamp cooler when there is a cool breeze blowing.

In warmer weather this can help prevent overheating during surface intervals. But in colder weather or with a stiff breeze blowing I will put a wind and waterproof nylon rainsuit over the dry suit to keep the evaporative cooling in check.

Of course in REALLY cold weather, the ice just freezes on the suit and effectively prevents evaporative coooling. You probably get some cooling through sublimation, but that effect is pretty minor I think .

matt_unique:
My suit was in perfect condition less the zipper so I decided $125 was better than $500.
Where'd you get a zipper for $125? My Oneill is the older model (7 mil all over) and needs a zipper. Best price I've found so far is about $225.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Where'd you get a zipper for $125? My Oneill is the older model (7 mil all over) and needs a zipper. Best price I've found so far is about $225.
Rick

Just checked my records and I was mistaken on the price of the zipper replacement - it was $155 at Inland Divers in Leicester MA. Pretty much every shop in this area suggests this shop for this kind of repair (of those I frequent anyway).

--Matt

Update:

My wife successfully did 2 dives in her neoprene drysuit, with neoprene seals. The water temp was around 58 degrees. She said she was slightly cold, but comfortable. The only undergarments she wore were very thin polypropylene from REI ($25each for top and bottom). I think I'll get her a slightly thicker undergarment.

Her neck seal was very difficult to get over her face (I had to stretch it open with a lo t of force to fit over her nose and lips), but it fit her neck fairly well. She just isn't able to get the neck seal on or off over her face herself.

During the dive, the neck seal leaked slightly but not too much. The other seals went on ok. She didn't use any lubricant or baby powder to get the seals on.

thanks for everyone's posts!

Scott

Sorry to revive an old thread guys.. but I'm hoping somebody can help me out. I recently got this suit as a gift (O'Neill XTS neoprene drysuit) and I'm confused on how the purge valve works.
It looks like I can tighten (close) and un-tighten (open) the purge valve.. and I can also push it. while doing a pool dive when I opened the valve.. it flowed freely, constantly. When I closed the valve.. it would only purge when I push it down.

So my question is.. is this an older style purge valve where I just have to push to purge? like a BC? It's not automatic like the new fancy dry-suits?

Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom