O'neill J type wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tartif69

Reaction score
Hi everybody :),
first, I want to apologize for my "bad" english.

Here, in my country, o'neill is not wellknown for diving wetsuit, so I couldn't find any comment on one specific wetsuit:The Oneill 3mm 3000X j-type FSW.

Did one of you have this one? Is it a good one and what can I expect of this suit?

Water temperature (in °Celsius if possible :wink: )and diving duration for this one for exemple...

all comments are welcome :)

Thanks for all

Hi,

I have the 3mm john and jacket. It's a decently warm suit. I've dove it in 62 degree F (16.7 degrees C) for two 60 minute dives. I was warm enough to do two dives that day, but I wouldn't have been able to do anymore. I was chilled a bit at the end of the 2nd dive. The air temps were about the same as the water and it was windy, so that had something to do with it too. For me - anything above 65 degrees F (18.3 degrees C) it's a good choice. I usually wear a 3mm beanie or hood and gloves. That helps keep me warmer during a dive

I just bought a drysuit so I think the O'neill is going to be seeing less action though :wink:

616fun:
I have the 3mm john and jacket. :wink:
Thank you for your information wich convince me more about O'neill quality
But your 3mm is a "classic" neopren wetsuit.
The one I ask information is a wetsuit with their "new" neopren J-Type

Oneill.com website:
The (3mm) J-Type, exclusive to O'Neill, provides the 6mm core insulation of a John/Jacket system with less bulk and superior seal. 80% Ultraflex DS construction provides unmatched stretch, fit and ease of donning. Interior Fluid Seam Weld and Firewall panels breathe fire into this market-leading suit.

And this one, sadly, nobody never test it :(

It's quite strange that O'neill have only one dealer in France for diving wetsuit, because it's seems that all "classic" wetsuit and semidry are very good wetsuit!

I have an O'Neill 3000J Type 5/3 . I know you were looking for info on the 3...but material/construction quality should be the same (mine is actually is for sale, b/c it's too big)
It is a good suit, excellent construction (seams, seals, etc) the material is almost as stretchy as my henderson hyperstretch, but more classically neoprene in appearance and noticeably warmer. If you go with one with a "firewall" (built in core-warmer) you will quickly discover that the velcro closures on the firewall and the neck of the suit will catch on it constantly and make a mess of it, aesthetically if you are not very careful.
My only concern would be that their size charts run big...so make certain to try one on before purchasing...or you will have yours for sale as well :)

Thank you for your comments,
So, I will test one :D

I have the hooded 7000J 7/5 mil, & am just amazed at how warm it keeps me even down to 45 degrees (half hour max so far). Its interesting the comment on sizing - I usually have a terrible time finding a men's medium that fits my skinny hips & yet isn't too restrictive in the shoulder & chest, but this one fits PERFECT, in fact I'm hoping the 3 mil fits exactly the same, 'cause I'm ready to chuck my DEEP SEA 3m & get an O'Neill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom