Fins: Deep6 Eddy v OMS Slipstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

S'S

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there, I need advice on what fins to get. I've read a number of post on comparisons, reviews, etc on Scubaboard but I could not find one perfectly fits my situation.

I’m a newbie diver with less than 50 logged dives. I currently use an aluminum BP/W (single tank), 3mm wetsuit, 3mm booties, 2x1kg lead (I think it’s equivalent to 2x2.2lbs), and a Mares Avanti Quattro+ (size regular). I mostly dive in tropical waters (Southeast Asia) where the water temperature ranges from 22-28 degrees Celsius (I don’t really need the 3mm wetsuit but I prefer to stay comfy and warm). I have never seen anyone dive with a drysuit around here but maybe that's because I'm still new and don't know any technical divers?

I intend to take GUE Fundies (sometime next year) and eventually go into tech (not anytime soon, perhaps in 3-4 years time). I’ve been made to understand that the Quattro+ are alright for singles and sidemounts but not suitable for backmount doubles.

After some thought, I’ve decided that I will sell my Quattro+ and find fins that are future proof in line with my plans. I’ve narrowed down to OMS Slipstream and Deep6 Eddy. You are more than welcome to suggest me any other fins apart from DiveRite XT (I can’t find any supplier for the XTs in my country. Shipping from another country is not really a viable option for me right now – my bank account will veto against it).

Price wise, I can get the Slipstream for the same price as the Eddys (LDS here are having crazy sales right now, I saw one LDS selling Scubapro Jets for 50% off).

I have a pair of feet that are wide at the front. I often have to buy shoes half to one size up to avoid my toes from cramping up. I’m quite keen to get the Eddys from reading reviews about how comfy the foot pockets are but worried that they may be too light/lack power for backmounted doubles. I haven’t tried both, but will go to one of the LDS this weekend to try the Slipstream and see how they feel with my booties on. Sadly, I will not be able to try them on in a pool (most LDS here do not have a pool).

As for kicks, I do both flutter and frog kicks - both of which are still imperfect. Going forward, I’d like to focus solely on frog kicks.

Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have both Slipstreams and blue Eddys in size large. Slipstreams are a smidge larger but not enough to make a difference in any practical way, flexibility of the blade is same as far as I can tell. The biggest difference I see is the shape of the foot pocket, the Slipstream pocket has more space in the toe area vs a rounded toe end for the Slipstream. I was using the Slipstreams for a couple years before Eddys came out, and so the Slipstream foot pocket is actually a bit softer and more comfortable from being broken in and adjusting to my foot shape. I imagine the Eddys would also get more comfortable with use, but right now I prefer the Slipstreams for comfort.

Both are great for frog kick, and work well for flutter when needed IMO. A personal preference, I like them better than quattros for flutter as they are very responsive and precise, but think many would disagree with that preference.

If you are doing fundies in doubles.. what type? Heavy steel and neither may be the best choice for trimming reasons.

Start with figuring out if you need light fins or heavy for trim.

If light get Eddy but I am biased (partner in Deep 6, also was my project)

If you need heavy fins don't get Eddy or slipstream

As far as power and Eddy, it has all the power anyone will need.

It can easily move a diver in doubles and stages and deco bottles if the divers legs and technique are there.

I agree with the above comments. I've had both and currently dive the Eddys. Very similar performance - maybe just a smidge more power from the Slipstreams, but not material in my view.

I find the footpocket on the Eddy to be infinitely better, which is why I dive them now. I have narrow heel and wide front (or whatever you call that part of the foot). I've found them to be plenty of power in any configuration, including CCR with 2x 80s sidemounted for bailout and sidemount with two 80s and two 40s.

I also agree that if you need some weight on your feet for trim, neither Eddys or Slipstreams are a great choice. In my drysuit, I dive Hollis F1s, despite the fact that I don't like that footpocket either, because I need a heavier fin.

Another vote for the Eddy. They're the most comfortable fins I've ever used and kick great. The only reason I don't use them now is I really wanted white fins for murky California water, so switched to Slipstreams. The Slipstreams are fine, but they don't fit as well and the available spring straps aren't nearly as well designed as the ones are that come standard on the Eddy. Plus, the spring straps on the Eddys I have are adjustable, which lets you change the size if you'll be switching from wet to dry boots and vice versa.

I've moved from XL jets to L Eddys, because the jets were too negative and ruining my trim. I've got a long slender foot so the XL Eddys left a bit too much lateral wiggle, but the spring straps on the L were a bit tight. I put the straps from the jets on them and they're fine for me. Power-wise, I never found the Eddys lacking, as far as I can tell there's no observable difference in propulsion. In fact not having to scull left me with more energy during and after dives.

Are you in Peninsular or East? Hello neighbour!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom