One Year in Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh my you can't miss Komodo.... huge mistake. There are some dives that have current but others that do not. Bad idea....Komodo is one of my Favs especially the south... July!!!! Alor is amazing as well!!!! Just make sure you are using a good operator and your wife will be happy.FYI Indonesia has current... one of the most freakish currents I have ever been in was in the harbor of Ambon. It can happen anywhere and that is why you need a good operator!
Thank you for the input -- maybe in year two. To be honest, getting a good operator has been really hit-and-miss. Trusting that we can do the site if only the operator does what we think we want is not a good approach for us. Thanks,Bill

Hi - July is no problem this is high season in most of Indonesia. I have dived in Tulamben and Lembeh in July and got great weather. Just a thought. A couple I met on the plane to Bali gave me an insight you might find handy. They have been staying in Bali for at least 3 months a year for over 20 years and they have stopped renting villas and stay in Boutique hotels instead. They said that over a fairly short period you become bored in a Villa, there is only the cook and cleaner apart from your partner to talk to and you have heard all of your partners stories. I would also be tempted to return to Munduk and spend a few days at the puri lumbung hotel see here Puri Lumbung Cottages - Munduk Eco Green Hotels Being in Bali in Jan Feb it might be nice to get away from the humidity, the only consideration is the lightning storms up there are spectacular if you like them or terrifying if you don't. We stayed in late Nov and missed the storms but it was a lovely refreshing place to visit. Would love to do your trip, with the added attractions of cooking schools, trips, snorkelling and yoga for my partner and meditation, U/W camera classes and diving for me. The Philippines are a spectacular diving place and I have not had a better mix of macro and wide angle photography opportunities anywhere.

Someone suggested that we start a blog on our adventures so here goes. I struggle with the idea a bit because it seems narcissistic but I'll try to make it useful. Let me know if you find it so, otherwise I'll probably stop.

We are retired, love to travel and to dive, and we "plan" to stay a year or two in various places around the world. First up is Indo for the diving, and Bali seems like a good place to use as a base. We are not rich as such but we do have some flexibility, let's put it that way. After I had a TIA a few years ago (scary but full recovery), it was a good thing because it made us realize that life is not forever so let's go! We do know lots of people that seemingly could retire but don't know what to do with themselves and therefore don't -- Sheesh, we don't have enough time in the day.

So this three-week trip is intended for us to find a villa to use a a base to dive Indo -- thanks again to many of you that gave us insights! Turns out after about a week we found a place that exceeded our expectations and was within our budget so we sent in our deposit and canceled the rest. We wanted full western comfort and therefore we were looking for a "deal" based on a longterm commitment. The whole plan is only possible because we're going to rent out our home in San Francisco, and I sure hope we get what we think we can get (and a good tenant as well -- SF tenant laws are difficult to say the least!). We also wanted a very responsive owner, and I emailed back-and-forth with them quite a bit -- probably drove them a bit crazy.

When we first began this process, we were told that we would have to pay a year in advance, and it turns out most villa owners were good with a three-to-four month deposit (which was a great relief to us). We wanted a place run by westerners because they know better how to run their staff to achieve a comfortable situation for us long-term tourists. A great staff is incredibly important.

We also wanted a place that is large enough for our guests so 3BR 2ba was a minimum. We chose Ubud because there' a lot to do there (albeit hella toursity) since we're going to live there a year -- you can't spend 24/7 in the water -- and it's a hour-plus to the airport -- celebrations permitting.

Most villa owners gave us a discount from their standard rate of around 50%, which is what made it possible financially. Possibly we could have bargained harder if we were willing to play one against the other -- but once we found something that exceeded our expectations and was within our budget, we took it. We LOVE the place and this is the link:

https://www.flipkey.com/ubud-villa-rentals/p733748/

It's much better than the website shows, IMHO. But don't tell anybody!!!

Santana LR.jpgSantana Pool.jpgSantana View.jpg

So now we have a bit of time to kill, we're in Amed diving and hoping the volcano doesn't f-up our lives too much but no worries -- nature is in charge. Period, accept that and move on.

Is this useful?

Thanks,

Bill & Emily

Please keep it up! I love a good blog.

Lots of great info here. .
i am a 25 year veteran scuba professional who has dived, lived and worked pretty much all over the world.
My year on Bali confirmed it as one of the most beautiful places to live and dive in the world. The food is awesome too.

Base yourself there for shorter regional trips. You will never regret it or forget it.

Thanks for keeping this thread as a "blog"--not at all "narcissistic," as the information is not only entertaining but could be useful to others who want to do something like what you're doing. My wife and I have vague (at this point) plans to be in Bali in May or June. If only we were--what was that word you used--"retired"?

Enjoy the adventure, and keep posting.

Shout-out to Lisa and David at Adventure Divers Bali in Amed. Great outfit. Well-run. All logisitics taken care of well. Diving appropriate for skill level. Good prices: $60 - $75 for a two-tank dive in the local area -- plenty to see, numerous dive sites, reef and muck.

Friendly and attentive staff -- better DMs than I have experienced at other Bali outfits -- lots of help in and out of the water (my balance walking over wet rocks is not very good), appropriately attentive in the water. They handle Backplate & wing / long hose better than most.

Also MANY extra that most dive shops might not do: breakfast and lunch included with dives (no charge). *Every time* you walk into the shop -- you are offered a free drink -- Lisa and David believe in hydration. Free mineral water from their bottles, as they are working to reduce plastic waste in Bali.

Great help finding appropriate accommodations when you arrive. Every one is made to feel comfortable. Also, they are friendly and fun people!

True, we have not tried other dive shops in Amed -- but why should we?

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom