One Year in Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Feel free to add Bira to your list if you are ever going through Makassar. Again, it's not the best diving in Indonesia but that is true for all but one place on your list. It's very good, quite cheap, remote and land based. I've written up a description on this forum. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-458856.html

Come to think of it, add Banda to your list too the combination of history and very good diving is worth the visit.

Feel free to add Bira to your list if you are ever going through Makassar. Again, it's not the best diving in Indonesia but that is true for all but one place on your list. It's very good, quite cheap, remote and land based. I've written up a description on this forum. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-458856.html

Come to think of it, add Banda to your list too the combination of history and very good diving is worth the visit.

Bira - in SE Sulawesi? Read your thread -- too adventurous and currenty for us but may work for some.

Banda - small island South of Maluku?

---------- Post added July 6th, 2015 at 07:39 PM ----------

Did I get this right?

Murex Resorts: has resorts at Lembeh, Bangka, and Bunaken. Bunaken (Manado) price is $1182 pp for 7d/6n, 2 dives per day includes nitrox.

Two Fish Divers: has resorts at Lembeh, Bunaken, and Lombok. Bunaken price is $767 pp for 7d/6n, 2 dives / day. +$3 / tank Nitrox.

Is Murex so much better than Two Fish?

- Bill

Banda, south of Ambon is probably one of the most beautiful and interesting island group to see in Indonesia.... but it's a pain to get to. (Otherwise it would have been invaded with tourism).
The problem is that reliable flights from Ambon operate on a chaotic basis (read for instance Flights & Boats between Ambon and Bandaneira) but if you have time on your hands and you can afford the luxury of getting stranded for two weeks or take the ferry because there is no flight waiting for yoou, then you should go at once. I didn't have the time to go diving, ny snorkeling, hence I won't comment on the actual quality of the deeper waters. I can just say that the mandarin fish in the Bandaneira channel are the fattest and easiest to approach.

Murex and Twofish are not exactly on the same sites neither on the same range.
For me the best of Murex has to offer is on Bangka where there is no Twofish operation, while I favor Twofish on their Lembongan (off Bali) operation. You really shouldn't miss Bangka.
If you want to dive Bunaken only then go to Twofish, Murex caters diving for both Bunaken (walls) and Manado bay (ostly macro/muck diving).

Just curious, unless I missed it, how are you going to deal with the visa issue?

Just curious, unless I missed it, how are you going to deal with the visa issue?

I don't know yet. I do know that there are plenty of expats on Bali, so I know it can be done.

You're in Singapore? Any recommendations? We will not be working in Bali. Retirement visa?

- Bill

---------- Post added July 7th, 2015 at 10:23 AM ----------

Banda, south of Ambon is probably one of the most beautiful and interesting island group to see in Indonesia.... but it's a pain to get to. .

We might be able to handle the uncertainty of the travel situation, but what are the dive operations on Banda like? Can you characterize the diving? (We are not at the point where we feel we can dive alone in a new environment.) We can probably handle any reasonable accommodation, given the benefit of seeing this place!

- Bill

Last edited:
I don't know yet. I do know that there are plenty of expats on Bali, so I know it can be done.

You're in Singapore? Any recommendations? We will not be working in Bali. Retirement visa?

- Bill

---------- Post added July 7th, 2015 at 10:23 AM ----------

I am no expert but have researched this in the past.

For Indonesia, you will prob want a Limited stay period visa, valid up to 12 months, but would need to be multiple entry if you are travelling out of country.

If you are over 50, you can get a retirement visa in Thailand with a certain amount deposited in a local bank account. Again, would need to be multiple entry if you are travelling.

Malaysia is a bit more complicated and not worth considering for just a year.

There are are loads of expat forums where you can get the most up to date information. You may be able to just bob in and out if Indonesia on a tourist visa, but you would have potential issues renting a property and always run the risk of being refused entry.

We might be able to handle the uncertainty of the travel situation, but what are the dive operations on Banda like? Can you characterize the diving? (We are not at the point where we feel we can dive alone in a new environment.) We can probably handle any reasonable accommodation, given the benefit of seeing this place!

- Bill
Don't worry there's a german operation in Banda called Blue Motion, and well... it's german you know : a hamlet of certainty in a field of unpredictabliity, Angela Merkel located in Greece, a Messerschmidt competing in a Redbull flugtag...
They also have a subsidiary in Ambon that they setup priorily to accomodate any delay for getting to Banda.
It's probably now their main operation since it's such a guesswork to schedule departures for Bandaneira airport.

From what I've seen, there's macro muck diving in the Bandaneira channel, fileds of corals at the foot of the Api volcano, impressive walls gorgonians and sharks in the outer islands (Pulau Ai).
even though you're not diving, I'd say the trip to Banda is worth. Stay at Abba's Mutiara guesthouse (not a swedish disco afficinado, Abba is a pearl businesman, also husband of the best cook in Maluku).
He walk around with his guests and organizes free tours just for the pleasure of making them discover the Banda islands.
Banda is so beautiful :

Gunung Api view from Lonthoir by Ludovic, on Flickr

Pulau Ai jetty by Ludovic, on Flickr

Don't worry there's a german operation in Banda called Blue Motion, and well... it's german you know : a hamlet of certainty in a field of unpredictabliity, Angela Merkel located in Greece, a Messerschmidt competing in a Redbull flugtag...
They also have a subsidiary in Ambon that they setup priorily to accomodate any delay for getting to Banda.
It's probably now their main operation since it's such a guesswork to schedule departures for Bandaneira airport.

From what I've seen, there's macro muck diving in the Bandaneira channel, fileds of corals at the foot of the Api volcano, impressive walls gorgonians and sharks in the outer islands (Pulau Ai).
even though you're not diving, I'd say the trip to Banda is worth. Stay at Abba's Mutiara guesthouse (not a swedish disco afficinado, Abba is a pearl businesman, also husband of the best cook in Maluku).
He walk around with his guests and organizes free tours just for the pleasure of making them discover the Banda islands.

We would love to dive as long as the operation is organized and competent to DM us, and the diving is less than 100' (33m) and not too currenty.

it's now on the short list!!

- Bill

just got back from a quick trip to Indonesia so I have some up to date info

if you're based in bali, it's just a half hour speed boat from sanur to nusa lembongan. the sites there are the same ones you can dive from nearby (but FAR less touristy) nusa penida, but penida is much closer to most dive sites so shorter boat trips. the diving is really fantastic, in the north it's mostly drift dives along thriving coral walls (you go for the corals moreso than the fish), and down south there are mola mola (the season starts late July) and mantas. strong currents though.

I've also just returned from komodo on a liveaboard in June. you can dive komodo year round, but different times suit different parts of the park. in June, you're restricted to Northern and central sites. I had a blast, really incredible fish and coral life, lots of sharks, and I was lucky enough to catch the very end of manta season. currents were nowhere near as strong as I say led to believe, and komodo has many tame, still coral gardens you can dive. most operators seem to avoid the current so you have nothing to worry about.

at other times of the year you can live south komodo, which I understand has colder water and better macro

I've heard nothing good about the gilis, it doesn't sound like it's of the same calibre of the other sites mentioned

Back
Top Bottom