One Year in Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, typo "WOULD NOT" .
Of course Gili islands are close to Bali and they have beaches, something which is scarce in Bali, the problem is that the coral reef is ruined, fishlife i nwhere like in Bal whichi has everythng underwater that the Gili may show you except that it will be in better shape in Bali.
I would happily spend 3 days in the Gilis to chill on a white sand beach, drink some beer and look at the sun set behind Bali, I don't know whether I would spend my time diving to be honest. I'd rather dive again in Bali, no dive is smilar than the previous one on a good dive site, full of life. I probably dived a 100 times Tulamben area for instance, I will dive it again in august and maybe next year too... and I'll certainly see things I've never seen before.

When the wife and I vacation in Bali I usually spend the first two weeks diving every day at Lembongan/Padang Bai/Tulamben. Then we head over to Gilli Air to chill on the beach, and have our choice of many restaurants to eat at. After a week I start to get restless so then I go for an afternoon dive. Quick trips not gone from the wife long enough for her to say " I never see you, did you come on vacation with me or your camera." The diving's so-so. The reef in many area's has been blasted to bit's by dynamite fishing, there are some nice area's but the coral tends to be a monoculture in those area's. The coral is regrowing but it may never be what it once was which was probably spectacular. Such a shame to wreck a ecosystem for short term gain. Yes you will see loads of turtles, and a good representation of the fish life of the area. I've been buttering up a dive shop owner over the years to get him to take me on some expedition muck dives off Lombok, if we go back this year hopefully he'll take the hook. The Gillies are a nice destination for your "tropical island" experience. You can pick from Gilli T for loud party's and drunk 20 somethings trying to hook up, or Gilli Meno for very quiet, or Gilli Air for the sweet spot in between.
All the Gillies have nice beaches, a good variety of accommodations, and restaurant's to chose from.
You going to be in the area for a year, it would be a shame to to see them for a bit.

When the wife and I vacation in Bali I usually spend the first two weeks diving every day at Lembongan/Padang Bai/Tulamben. Then we head over to Gilli Air to chill on the beach, and have our choice of many restaurants to eat at. After a week I start to get restless so then I go for an afternoon dive. Quick trips not gone from the wife long enough for her to say " I never see you, did you come on vacation with me or your camera." The diving's so-so. The reef in many area's has been blasted to bit's by dynamite fishing, there are some nice area's but the coral tends to be a monoculture in those area's. The coral is regrowing but it may never be what it once was which was probably spectacular. Such a shame to wreck a ecosystem for short term gain. Yes you will see loads of turtles, and a good representation of the fish life of the area. I've been buttering up a dive shop owner over the years to get him to take me on some expedition muck dives off Lombok, if we go back this year hopefully he'll take the hook. The Gillies are a nice destination for your "tropical island" experience. You can pick from Gilli T for loud party's and drunk 20 somethings trying to hook up, or Gilli Meno for very quiet, or Gilli Air for the sweet spot in between.
All the Gillies have nice beaches, a good variety of accommodations, and restaurant's to chose from.
You going to be in the area for a year, it would be a shame to to see them for a bit.

You guys are making me realize that diving is probably better on Bali that I had thought. I should try again at Tulamben and Bali per se. Love Nusa Penida already, will surely repeat that as well. And the Gilis, why not?

Is there any diving on Lombok besides the Gillis?

- Bill

Menjangen is the furthest east part of Bali. But I thought the diving there was great. Easy conditions against a backdrop of smoking volcanos on Java. It is a pain to get to from the usual places in Bali though.

Sipadan is still the greatest dive place I have been to - but before the resorts were relocated off the island. Not gotten to RA yet. But don't forget that Bali has great diving too. Nusa Penida and Trepekong area have some really demanding dives but the payoff is fantastic. Indo-Pacific is among the very best so an average dive is better than a lot of the best in the Caribbean. It has been 20 years but things could not have gone downhill that much.

Menjangen is the furthest east part of Bali.

I think you meant the westernmost part of Bali.

---------- Post added July 3rd, 2015 at 06:49 PM ----------

Hey - has anyone dived Palawan? It's in the Philippines, but not that far from Easternmost Indo. I still consider that part of "The Greater Bali Area" ha ha ha.

- Bill

I think you meant the westernmost part of Bali.

---------- Post added July 3rd, 2015 at 06:49 PM ----------

Hey - has anyone dived Palawan? It's in the Philippines, but not that far from Easternmost Indo. I still consider that part of "The Greater Bali Area" ha ha ha.

- Bill
Never dived Palawan but from the reports I get from friends living in the PIs, this is not a place to consider for spectacular diving.
Do you want to start a discussion on the divespots in the PIs, i'm in too... :)

Never dived Palawan but from the reports I get from friends living in the PIs, this is not a place to consider for spectacular diving.
Do you want to start a discussion on the divespots in the PIs, i'm in too... :)

Just one question: Can one go from the Eastern parts of Indo to the Western parts of Phils without going through a major transit hub such as Manila, Jakarta, or Singapore? It would be cool if there were safe, reliable air transport between islands and countries.

- Bill

Not to my knowledge.
There are 2 major hubs in the phils Manila and Cebu city, but they're all flewn from KL, SIN or HKG mostly
There was once a Kota Kinabalu/Cebu city flight operated by Wings, I think it is not operational anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom