One Year in Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just one question: Can one go from the Eastern parts of Indo to the Western parts of Phils without going through a major transit hub such as Manila, Jakarta, or Singapore? It would be cool if there were safe, reliable air transport between islands and countries.

- Bill

You lucky people, a year in Bali. There is a direct Cebu Pacific flight twice a week from Denpasar to Manila. The Manila to Denpasar flight appears to leave at an unsociable hour. They haven't instituted a Denpasar to Cebu flight. My own choice would be Denpasar to Singapore to Cebu, as Singapore is an easier airport to transit through ... unless your destination were Puerto Galera or Anilao.

Hi all - just my two cents. I made a few editorial comments and additional to phlegm's helpful post. :):)

if you're based in bali, it's just a half hour speed boat from sanur to nusa lembongan, but only during relatively calm sea conditions. The crossing trip can take over 45 mins and you might not be able to dive on the exposed southwest coast of Nusa Penida.

the north it's mostly drift dives along thriving coral walls (you go for the corals moreso than the fish), and down south there are mola mola (the season starts late July) and mantas. strong currents though - mola2 are also present in the north side Nusa Penida drift sites. You might experience strong currents and down currents on the north side dive sites.

you can dive komodo year round, but different times suit different parts of the park. While correct, the best time for diving Komodo Islands are from later spring to early fall. In general, strong currents support large pelagic and lots of fish, so its best to be comfortable diving strong currents.

I would like to develop my list a bit further with regards to what time(s) of year the various sites are good, best, or to be avoided.

If you decide to help me answer these, please bear in mind that although we have nearly 200 dives each, we do best in easy conditions, especially little or no current (except for drift dives) and low surge. Thanks.

Here is what I have so far. I have arranged them in rough order of our likely interest (highest first):

Lembeh - All year round but better March to June then September to November.

Bangka - not that good from December to early march., also winds in july-august that bring waves

Bunaken - ?

Raja Ampat - Better Feb - may

Banda - ?

Ambon - October to may, but better in oct-november than feb to may

Alor - From april to early december, best is September to november

Andaman Island - better Jan-April

Bira - ?

Layang Layang - ? Hammerhead in April-May, can be deep.

Sipadan - ?

Wakatobi - ?

Thanks in advance!

- Bill & Emily

Andaman Sea - November to April but often better February-April. Easy diving in Similans, Surins, South Andaman but can be crowded.

Bira - "The seasons for diving there can be year-round but rougher seas from December to February mean you can only reach some coastal dive sites. In August & September the colder waters (24-26C) come in from the south and usually give better chance at seeing larger critters. Apparently hammerheads, threshers, bulls, mantas and other large fish have been spotted during these months but the grey reef shark and marble ray were the big things we saw. There were definitely plenty of white tip and black tip sharks on every dive in August."

Layang Layang - Open from March to August but Hammerheads normally only in April-May, it is deep to see hammerheads and chances to see them even with a week's diving at the resort are about 50-50%. Okay resort, barely acceptable guides, expensive.

Sipadan - diveable year-round but rainy and lower viz December to February. Normal to have 2-3 days at Sipadan with a week's stay in nearby islands but can vary with added cost. Low-end live aboard available as well.

Banda is simiilar to Ambon, except that non optimal periods may be accentuated with high waves. You have to get there in the best timeframes.For Sipadan, the trick to go there outside periods where SEA coountries are on holidays, for instance if you target end of feb/first weeks of march, say a week after the CNY break is over and before the start of the European holdays, you may have the resorts for yourself. Then you will be brought to Sipadan everyday, except that after three days, you'lle require diving around Mabul or Mataking for a change. You should have priorily the Singapore/ Hoogkong/ Malaysia holidays in mind first. I do not agree with the visibility generalities, I've had the best visibilities in Feb and some of the worst in August. Sipadan is typically equatorial unpredictable weather, rainfall usually drives the visibility around Sipadan, it happens ther is often more rain in July-August and also december while feb/march are drier.

For Sipadan, the trick to go there outside periods where SEA coountries are on holidays, for instance if you target end of feb/first weeks of march, say a week after the CNY break is over and before the start of the European holdays, you may have the resorts for yourself. Then you will be brought to Sipadan everyday, except that after three days, you'lle require diving around Mabul or Mataking for a change.

You should have priorily the Singapore/ Hoogkong/ Malaysia holidays in mind first.

What does "CNY" refer to?

Also I don't know what you mean by "You should have priorily the Singapore/ Hoogkong/ Malaysia holidays in mind first"

Thanks,

Bill

---------- Post added July 27th, 2015 at 06:45 PM ----------

ALSO: Any input on the best time to dive Bunaken?

Thanks,

Bill

---------- Post added July 27th, 2015 at 07:27 PM ----------

Interesting...I plotted all the data out on a calendar and, selecting only the optimal times for only the places we would want to go, there are four months when there is no optimal diving: July, Aug, Sept, and Dec.

Guess we'll dive Bali those months -- or look at the Philippines, or see land sights in Indo. I want to see the critters in Komodo, Sumatra, and Borneo. If we really get desperate for something to do, we could go to Australia :D

- Bill

Hello again.

For our year in Bali starting May 2016, we have a TENTATIVE schedule for dive adventures using Bali as a base. I simply listed what we might do in each month of our year, thinking that we would be gone for 2 - 3 weeks at a time. The schedule ultimately will depend on what visitors we may have, and we have not yet scheduled out any topside adventures.

Also I want to add Sipadan:diver: .

If you see any things that look really stupid or not-well-optimized for good diving, please let me know. We like easy diving, so no Komodo (happy wife = happy life :marriage: ).

Thanks in advance!

2016 May - Philippines (pre-planned trip)
June - Bangka
July -
Aug - Mt. Hagen Sing-sing in PNG, plus add diving somewhere in PNG
Sept - We have to go back to the US for a wedding, etc. so no SEA adventure
Oct -
Nov - Ambon, then Banda
Dec -
2017 Jan - Andaman Is
Feb - Raja Ampat
Mar - Lembeh, Bunaken
Apr - get ready to go home? :depressed::depressed:

Oh my you can't miss Komodo.... huge mistake. There are some dives that have current but others that do not. Bad idea....Komodo is one of my Favs especially the south... July!!!! Alor is amazing as well!!!! Just make sure you are using a good operator and your wife will be happy.

FYI Indonesia has current... one of the most freakish currents I have ever been in was in the harbor of Ambon. It can happen anywhere and that is why you need a good operator!

Raja Ampat: Thanksgiving to Valentine's Day

Back
Top Bottom