One week to Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
We're leaving on the 4th of July for Kadavu. This is my first South Pacific trip past Maui. We'll be staying at the Matava resort. I know that in addition to the typical soft corals Fiji is known for, Kadavu has pelagics, such as Mantas and Sharks. This is the stuff that both I and my camera suck at. The SP is rather slow on the draw, so I imagine I should use a manual focus setting. Other than that, being in dark water I've always shot strobes rather than manual white balance. Pluses & Minuses? Should I just keep firing the strobes? My Sea & Sea WA lens has a minimum focus of about 18" & requires a slight zoom to keep the corners from going black. Should I bother putting it on or just fire away? Any help is welcome. According to reports, vis this time of year is about 75', and air and water temps about 70-75 as well. Again, any advice from the experienced on the diving or the photography is welcomed.

Sounds great Larry - hope you have a great trip.

With my Oly 7070 and a WA attachment I stuck with autofocus - Mantas are relatively slow moving creatures, the AF should handle it.

Any AI focus on your camera? It works great for big things moving in a predictable direction. Closing aperture a bit help increase depth of field - especially with wide angle it makes focusing less critical - and might help with the black corners as well.

Also, bring a good macro lens - the coral down there is crawling with smaller critters.

Any good dive shops in Fiji? I arrive ay Mana Island on the 3rd. It my first time in FIji. (and this is my first post so I am feeling very newby!!!!)

53.gif

Have a great and safe trip. I know you will take lots of photos and I'll be looking forward to seeing them.

Since you haven't been farther South than Hawaii the marine life in Fiji will blow your mind in comparison.

Try the calibrated white balance on those farther away non-strobe shots, especially the more shallow ones.

I can't wait to see your pictures! I am heading to Fiji in April 2010 for two weeks!!! Have Fun!

Fiji is wide angle paradise. You'll want your lens and plenty of strobes. Shooting close focus wide angle will work great with your rig.

Jack

Sooooooooo.......Jealous...........Have Fun

Thanks for the help, everyone. How about diffusers? Better to leave them off for more power on the big stuff or keep them on and widen the spread? Separate the strobes way out and turn them slightly in, or point them straight, or do my Monterey thing, in closer and angled a little out?

Back
Top Bottom