One purchase I truly regret

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Short of opinion and experimentation the perfect fin for a given diver will vary widley! Some prefer split others paddle, whatever your personal preference there are some fins out there that leave alot to be desired. The cool thing is the experimental stage of searching for the perfect fin. The answer try as many as you can! If you made a choice that does work sell it, ebay/etc. move on. Many great fins have been metioned on this thread most I have looked at and tried some to. My best advice to anyone is to try them out, know your personal physical state, "diving wet or dry" it makes a difference, and what fin technique you want to use! I have been fortunate to have a great Dive Shop and a good friend to start my search! S.B. is a great source of information also. Good luck with your search! Keep diving....keep training....keep learning! CamG

I would have truly regretted buying X-Treme scooter, but for the fact they gave me most of my money back.

X-Treme is the answer to the question "Just HOW cheaply can we build a scooter and still make it work [once] ?" All exposed metal parts are ordinary steel -- not even stainless, let alone brass. When I disassembled the fan guard, I found "flotation devices" inside -- little styrofoam rectangles held together with fricking paper tape, already disintegrating after a few dives. BTW, the reason I took apart the fan guard was to replace rusting screws and washers with brass ones, in a hopeless attempt to make the sorry thing last somewhat.

X-Treme refunded my money because on top of everything else, the vent plug did not close properly and let the water in, shorting out the circuit board. I should have cut the losses and given up then, but being an optimist I ordered new circuit board ($35). It took 4 months to arrive, and was obviously used. I installed it, tested the scooter in the tub -- no dice. I could tell the circuit was working, but the motor was not. Disassembled the thing completely -- and found that motor and gears were also rusted, and water could not reach that compartment via vent plug. IOW, even if plug worked as intended, the scooter would have still died within a couple dives.

Never buy X-Treme.

Interesting conversation here as I am looking for another pair of fins and am considering a pair of split fins. Anybody have any experience or suggestions with the split fin models?

Chris

The Adjustible Force Fin Is The Most comfortible fin i have ever Kicked ,i had Jet Fins And They were great but these force fins are like wearing no fins.
I have a pair of Scuba Pro split Speed Fins Open Heel And they just kill my calves.
the new Scuba Pro max Split Fin Would be the way to go if you want a split Fin.
They are Smaller and Lighter Then most Split Fins.
I know several divers who love them,me i like the force fins.

Love my jets!!!

Springs made all the difference in the world..It would take some serious convincing to get me to switch..

However what are folks experience with the OMS Thrust

I would have truly regretted buying X-Treme scooter, but for the fact they gave me most of my money back.

X-Treme is the answer to the question "Just HOW cheaply can we build a scooter and still make it work [once] ?" All exposed metal parts are ordinary steel -- not even stainless, let alone brass. When I disassembled the fan guard, I found "flotation devices" inside -- little styrofoam rectangles held together with fricking paper tape, already disintegrating after a few dives. BTW, the reason I took apart the fan guard was to replace rusting screws and washers with brass ones, in a hopeless attempt to make the sorry thing last somewhat.

X-Treme refunded my money because on top of everything else, the vent plug did not close properly and let the water in, shorting out the circuit board. I should have cut the losses and given up then, but being an optimist I ordered new circuit board ($35). It took 4 months to arrive, and was obviously used. I installed it, tested the scooter in the tub -- no dice. I could tell the circuit was working, but the motor was not. Disassembled the thing completely -- and found that motor and gears were also rusted, and water could not reach that compartment via vent plug. IOW, even if plug worked as intended, the scooter would have still died within a couple dives.

Never buy X-Treme.

:confused:

Back
Top Bottom