One purchase I truly regret

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting conversation here as I am looking for another pair of fins and am considering a pair of split fins. Anybody have any experience or suggestions with the split fin models?

Chris

Personally, I really like the new atomic aquatics smoke on the water fins. These things really rock! Lots of speed and power, but the reduced effort you would expect from a split. They come with spring straps already installed, too. I demo 'd a pair, and own an older pair that I am happy with.

My wife loves the Twin Jets, and also the apollo bio- my problem is my sz13 dry suit boots won't fit in either one.

Interesting conversation here as I am looking for another pair of fins and am considering a pair of split fins. Anybody have any experience or suggestions with the split fin models?

Chris

Apollo Bio-Fins. Love mine and I do a lot of shore diving = much kicking.

DM2006 - I had a pair of oceanic v12s and they were good for wet suit diving - gave good acceleration, good surface speed as well.

I have tried them with a dry suit however and found them to be hopeless. There was absolutey no traction, hardly any speed and I really struggled to move myself under water and above water.

Note that I am pretty fit, young and have very strong legs.

YMMV.

Ditto here only I am fat and old,:wink: I am considering the Atomic splits. I tried a couple paddle fins (in the pool) and since I have never dove anything but the Oceanics I didn't care for the paddles.

S
I have been a scubapro jet fins user and had gone to buy an XL Jet. This shop in Key Largo FL did not have solid rubber fins so he tells me jets are ancient and weigh so much. You should look at this pivotal blade (the future of diving) blah blah blah!

Nothing beats a BIG black Rubber Fin !

Ron

Chris

For my rec. gear, I use Scubapro's Twin Jet Max. It does decent moving me through the water with a wet suit/ single tank (haven't tried with my dry suit- boots are to big). Very easy on the legs. When diving my dry suit/ double tanks I use the Jet fins. Although more difficult to kick with the Jet Fins, they aren't too awful bad (no cramping problems), I need the extra thrust to move those behemoth double tanks & myself through the water.

I have been using my TUSA Xpert zoom fins for 3 years now, and before that I used The Scuba Pro Twin Jets. I will always remember the first time I tried on a pair of split fins. It was at a pool session and one of my students had just purchased a pair from us. I was skeptical as the split fins looked cheaper to me. (Or I guess new and different and I was quite happy with my seac sub paddle fins)

So, I put them on, and 20 or 30 kick cycles later I was hooked. The quick flutter kicking for best forward propulsion was different, but I really didn't feel like I had a pair of fins on (or just got used to the paddle fin). Once I got the hang of it, everything came together quite nicely.

Now, 10 years later, the thought of a paddle fin makes my ankles hurt. LOL. I even use them with my dry suit and twin tanks, no problems at all.:D

Scubapro Twin Jets are awesome. I also have a pair of Mares Quattros. When I want to get a great leg workout, I wear my quattros. That being said they both have their place. Good Luck!

I love my Mares Volo fins. Hate the releases but replaced them with springs and now I plan on keeping these fins.

Scubapro Twin Jets are awesome. I also have a pair of Mares Quattros. When I want to get a great leg workout, I wear my quattros. That being said they both have their place. Good Luck!

I've also have had Mares Avanti Quatros for 5 years and love them. I know it may be a workout but they seem faster than any other fin I've ever tried when you put forth the effort. I went out and bought a pair of the black Scubapro Twin Jets and wore them for 3 minutes and kicked my ass off and couldn't get anywhere with them. They're brand new on the floor of my closet. When I kicked, sure I felt like I had on no fins, and sure I suppose the Quatros might be tougher on your ankles but they move you if you kick hard. How do you get anywhere in a current?

I'm not bashing split fins but really wonder with all of the people out there that love these split fins, what am I missing? Did I not give the Scubapro enough of a chance? Do I need to do double the kicks to go the same distance but maybe with less effort? I really wonder what I'm missing?

I also have a pair of old used Scubapro Jet fins. I used them only once also and went back to the Quatros. I know there is a huge following of these as well but still found the Quatros to put out the most thrust of any of these 3 choices if the effort is put forth. What's makes these so popular other than the shorter length that may help a wreck diver?

Thanks,

Matt

Apollo's and scubapro twin jets both with spring straps have been my fins of choice for diving wet or dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom