One purchase I truly regret

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Sherwood Kineses fins! What a load of crap it turned out to be.

I have been a scubapro jet fins user and had gone to buy an XL Jet. This shop in Key Largo FL did not have solid rubber fins so he tells me jets are ancient and weigh so much. You should look at this pivotal blade (the future of diving) blah blah blah!

I got sucked into that and spent 80$ on the black (tougher blade model).

The worst fine ever! a few kick cycles and I started getting ankle cramps. Had to modify finning techniques radically to get keep kicking.

The worst 80$ I have ever spent on scuba gear!

Sherwood Kineses fins! What a load of crap it turned out to be.

I have been a scubapro jet fins user and had gone to buy an XL Jet. This shop in Key Largo FL did not have solid rubber fins so he tells me jets are ancient and weigh so much. You should look at this pivotal blade (the future of diving) blah blah blah!

I got sucked into that and spent 80$ on the black (tougher blade model).

The worst fine ever! a few kick cycles and I started getting ankle cramps. Had to modify finning techniques radically to get keep kicking.

The worst 80$ I have ever spent on scuba gear!

I have a different experience with them .used jets for many
years and years,still do at times. Had a pair of tiger /panther fins by Dacor and a pair of blk kineses fins.I wore out the Dacor and still have the sherwood ones.No problems,easy to use.I use all different kick techniques and they work out ok.Sold them to you for $80..sounds like that was below msrp.

I have a different experience with them .used jets for many
years and years,still do at times. Had a pair of tiger /panther fins by Dacor and a pair of blk kineses fins.I wore out the Dacor and still have the sherwood ones.No problems,easy to use.I use all different kick techniques and they work out ok.Sold them to you for $80..sounds like that was below msrp.

Yeah, seems cheap to me too. Man, I wish I was only down $80 from my bad scuba diving purchases. I remember when I started diving- I was a walking u/w Xmas tree with all the "ornaments" I had dangling! Couldn't stand too long in one spot or I got mistaken for a product display!:D

Jets... there's reason why they are one of the few pieces of equipment unchanged from the 60's still being used today

Interesting conversation here as I am looking for another pair of fins and am considering a pair of split fins. Anybody have any experience or suggestions with the split fin models?

Chris

Yep. Jet fins are ancient. And they are still in popular use. There's a reason for that. :D I love mine. As far as I'm concerned, there simply IS no other fin.

Ditto.

Interesting conversation here as I am looking for another pair of fins and am considering a pair of split fins. Anybody have any experience or suggestions with the split fin models?

Chris

DM2006 - I had a pair of oceanic v12s and they were good for wet suit diving - gave good acceleration, good surface speed as well.

I have tried them with a dry suit however and found them to be hopeless. There was absolutey no traction, hardly any speed and I really struggled to move myself under water and above water.

Note that I am pretty fit, young and have very strong legs.

If you will do mainly wet diving, the v12s are a good, reliable fin.

For drysuits, I would reccomend jet fins, which is what I ended up getting. They simply cant compare to splits for DS diving.

Someone on SB compared jets (or any other non-split blade fin) to providing lots of torque whilst splits provided plenty of speed. in my experience, this has been an accurate comparison.

Personally, I would never bother with splits if I were you. Get yourself a pair of jets with springs and you wont need another fin.

YMMV.

Those look just the same like Dacor/Mares something, fragile & clumsy.

Not sure I'd want to give them a try at all with the drysuit, and for wetsuit I also prefer normal blade fins... For 80 USD looks like they have a good eBay resale value. :wink:

Those Sherwood things look truly scary. The marketing dept @ Sherwood must have put in some serious overtime to get people buying them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom