One more question!! For now :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a Balance, with the integrated weight pockets removed. I like to have 4 or 5 lbs in each trim pocket, with the rest on a belt. With some steel tanks I only have two 2's on my belt. That means that early in my dive, if I have a double failure like bladder tear and leg paralysis I might not be able to ascend.

So the more weight you put in the trim the bigger difference it makes, both with trim and the releasable issue. Also, a Balance runs with a much lower strap position than many other BC's. Lower the strap small increments each dive until you start hitting your head on the valve during the dive, then raise just enough that you don't. (if you haven't already done this)

Alright I just got back from 2 tanks worth of diving. I had 0 issues with the BC. It performed flawlessly. I get home and jump in the pool, and it faceplants me lol. Maybe it doesn't like fresh water?? haha j/k....... I think maybe I am over inflated in the pool, seem sodd, but I can't seem to correct it yet. Anyway in the salt she worksd great. had 2 awesome dives. Thanks for all the help!!

Alright I just got back from 2 tanks worth of diving. I had 0 issues with the BC. It performed flawlessly. I get home and jump in the pool, and it faceplants me lol. Maybe it doesn't like fresh water?? haha j/k....... I think maybe I am over inflated in the pool, seem sodd, but I can't seem to correct it yet. Anyway in the salt she worksd great. had 2 awesome dives. Thanks for all the help!!

When you jumped in the pool had you removed appox. 6 lbs. of weight from your salt water dive? If not you would have been overweighted and have needed more air in bc to remain afloat - this might cause the back of the bc to push up a bit more. Also, if you were using a nearly depleted aluminum 80 without a crotch strap this would tend to push you forward.

I've been trying with different inflation levels. It is of course worse with a lot of air. Maybe I am being a wuss and expect to be able to float like life preserver?? Being my first back inflate maybe I just need to adjust ... I will see how it goes tomorrow. How much unmovable weight would you consider to be safe, if any??

You've answered your own question. No reason to call yourself a wuss, but you nailed it. :D

Contrary to what many people think and - unfortunately - many instructors teach, a BC is NOT a life preserver. It is supposed to help you achieve neutral buoyancy while diving. Yes, there are some BCs that keep you afloat with your head up like a life preserver, but a lot of them suck under water. Think about it: Above water, you're supposed to assume a vertical position, in fact leaning backwards a little. Under water, you're supposed to assume a horizontal position. How can one and the same device fulfill both roles? I look at a BC as a diving device, not a floating device and I choose it accordingly. My back plate and wing config will, if I just float motionless on the surface, push my face in the water. And that's fine, because I can do something about it, namely move my legs and maintain my position. If your back inflate BC pushes you forward very violently and you feel like you have to struggle to fight that effect, then I would say the BC is either over-inflated, doesn't fit you right or simply sucks. A little effort of maintaining positon on the surface should be required, but not to a point where you struggle with it.

Well, when I jumped in the pool I had 500psi but no wetsuit and did not remove any weight. I will keep playing with it in the pool just because it aggravates me, but I am very very pleased in the ow!!!! I really apprecate the responses though. Underwater she performs beyond my expectations and I pushed her pretty hard today. Very comfortable..

This might be a bit late since you'll read this after the dive, but I had the same problems the first few dives with my BP/W and all I had to do on the surface was :

1) Not fully inflate
2) Arch my back

This helped put the BC under me rather than behind me. Even with a fully inflated 30# wing I could not get faceplanted as long as I arched my back.

You do look a bit odd though if you fully inflate and arch your back. Like an upside down turtle :S

I dive a Zeagle back-inflate. It will tilt me face forward unless: (1) I put about 30-40% of the weight in the trim pockets, and (2) I minimize the amount of air in the bladder. Simple as that. BTW, I learned that here in another thread.

I've been trying with different inflation levels. It is of course worse with a lot of air. Maybe I am being a wuss and expect to be able to float like life preserver?? Being my first back inflate maybe I just need to adjust ... I will see how it goes tomorrow. How much unmovable weight would you consider to be safe, if any??

I use 6 lbs in the non-ditchable pockets in my Balance,
Also, try leaning back on it, I find it makes it much more comfortable on the surface.

Some good advice in here, OnceLoyal ... I have nothing to add except keep practicing, diving and asking questions. That's what the forum is for ... and I think you ask good questions.

Kudos ... your desire to learn and willingness to try tells me you have the makings of a good diver.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom