one more camera gone...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My father dropped me off to a dive site in our small boat (very limited space) and I geared on the boat (this was the error, original plan was to gear up on shore and then just drive the boat - but were in a hurry (for some reason)....)

I set up the camera on shore (but fast) and then we were off... I've done soo many dives with this setup that I just forgot to check again (my father handed me the case when I was in water but....)

I had no insurance since this was an old camera but this leak happened in the worst possible time :) (as allways)... I'll just go on internet and buy a used S50 or S45 (they both use the same case) and hope it doesn't happen again...

Aquatica makes a moisture alarm that works quite well. It is priced at $84 on their site. Not sure if that is US or Canadian. Seems like I paid $75 US for mine.
www.aquatica.com

Joe

Gilligan:
This company sells a leak detector for what it's worth.
Not a bad idea, and not a bad price. I'd hope their product is better than their spelling, though (unless they're looking for onions).

Don't see a way to Internet order it, though...
Gilligan:
I use this in my housing in the hopes it will help should I catch a small leak immediately.
That's actually a great idea. I take it you haven't determined how much water something like this will hold...?

--Marek

Is there some ultra thin mini pad (doesn't have to be carefree) that changes colour as it absorbs water?

btw. case for S45 has VERY limited space for desiccants so I'm not sure how much of these could I fit in...

hvulin:
Is there some ultra thin mini pad (doesn't have to be carefree) that changes colour as it absorbs water?

btw. case for S45 has VERY limited space for desiccants so I'm not sure how much of these could I fit in...
The 2g dessicant packs, with color indicators, from www.preservationstation.com are about 2" x 3/4" and fit in the 3/16th inch space between my camera and housing.

Charlie99:
The 2g dessicant packs, with color indicators, from www.preservationstation.com are about 2" x 3/4" and fit in the 3/16th inch space between my camera and housing.
OK, that's interesting. Have you had any experience as to how visible these things are when they change color, particularly underwater? Says something about a "transparent strip" on the otherwise Tyvek packet... Between the narrow strip, and the pack's orientation in the camera case, and the water's color absorbtion...

--Marek

I know how you feel, just flooded mine this week too...

Marek K:
Is there any kind of chemically-treated material that can be put into the bottom of a camera case, that would turn a vivid color when it starts getting damp?

There is a type of alarm out there that will flash as soon as it detects water in the housing. Some brands of silica change color to let you know...but from my experience, but the time you notice all these things - It's too late.

Here are a couple of ideas that I haven't tested...

1. Blue Gatorade Powder: Blue Gatorade in it's powdered form is actually white, but as soon as moisture hits it it turns blue! Try covering the sticky side of a piece of tape with it and put it in the bottom of your housing. An alternative to Gatorade powder is powdered chalk, such as is used in a carpenter's chalk line.

2. Food Coloring: Put a small drop of red food coloring in the bottom of your housing. The food coloring is so dark that it appears almost black, but as soon as water hits it, the water will turn red! However, I'm not sure about the staining potential of food coloring, so you might want to test this first...

Regards,
McGill

Marek K:
Have you had any experience as to how visible these things are when they change color, particularly underwater? Says something about a "transparent strip" on the otherwise Tyvek packet... Between the narrow strip, and the pack's orientation in the camera case, and the water's color absorbtion...
It's easy enough to see in my transparent housing, but it's not all that useful as a REALTIME leak detector because the color change is very slow.

The tyvek packet lets moisture into the dessicant, but keeps the powder/granules inside. Apparently, it also keeps water out of the dessicant, and just lets water vapor through across the barrier. I just did an experiment of running water water over the top of one and it didn't change color. Then I left it submerged and it took several minutes of submersion before it changed color. So it's very slow responding and not really useful as an instantaneous leak detector.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom