One-handed scuba signals - for numbers - do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Military method
We used to flash fuel states to each other when flying in formation in radio silence
Finger(s) vertical is 1 to 5
Finger(s) horizontal is 6 to 9
Clenched fist is zero

For example:
2 fingers held vertically = 2
2 fingers held horizontally = 7

1800 p.s.i. is
1 finger held vertically, which is "1"
3 fingers held horizontally, which is "8"

The clenched fist is obviously dependent on the situation. If you and your team are communicating gas, then the clenched fist obviously means "zero" and not "hold."

If a team mate comes up to you out of the blue and shows you a clenched fist, then it obviously means "hold" and not "zero."

I also use this system. But I guess we modify it just slightly... The vertical numbers, 1-5, are palm facing away from the signaling person, and horizontal, 6-9 is towards the signaling person. To me it feels very natural, and the "flip" of the hand/wrist helps distinguish between 1-5 and 6-9...

I've seen so many divers giving confusing signals and others not understanding simple ones. If someone asks me how much air I have, I show them my spg.

I almost always dive solo, nobody asks me how much gas I have. I relatively recently went out in West Palm and was still near the guide about 35 minutes into the drift dive. She signaled me about gas. I raised 2 fingers, indicating 2000 psi in my AL80. She didn't ask again.

I also use this system. But I guess we modify it just slightly... The vertical numbers, 1-5, are palm facing away from the signaling person, and horizontal, 6-9 is towards the signaling person. To me it feels very natural, and the "flip" of the hand/wrist helps distinguish between 1-5 and 6-9...

My son and I use the reverse. How many fingers can you see plus how many held up.

Back of closed fist is zero. Back of hand to person then number of raised fingers.

Five is back of hand all fingers raised, front of hand would also work but could be confused with zero. Six is palm facing out one finger raised. Ten is palm all fingers raised. Thumb is last finger to be raised for 5 and 10.

We found that the horizontal/vertical counting method would be confusing if eithe or both of us had some roll, were the fingers horizontal or vertical to the sender or the receiver? It was sometimes hard to tell in really bad visibility.

Your method doesn't work in poor visibility, as you have to be able to see the flip of the hand.

The military method requires that you hold you hand out in profile, away from your body, so that your buddy can clearly see your finger. Too many times I've had people in a black wetsuit and black gloves try to show me their fingers with their hand held in front of their body. Any method that requires that you signal against your body or arm is subject to the same problem.

You gotta use a method where you hold you hand out so that your buddy can see your fingers clearly.

Your method doesn't work in poor visibility, as you have to be able to see the flip of the hand.

The military method requires that you hold you hand out in profile, away from your body, so that your buddy can clearly see your finger. Too many times I've had people in a black wetsuit and black gloves try to show me their fingers with their hand held in front of their body. Any method that requires that you signal against your body or arm is subject to the same problem.

You gotta use a method where you hold you hand out so that your buddy can see your fingers clearly.

The signs are still vertical for 1-5 and horizontal for 6-9 and the hand is still stretched out. I'm not trying to give Catcher/Pitching signs here, haha. At night, I reach out with my light and illuminate my signaling hand (from the front), I suppose the same could be done in poor visibility.

You may well be correct, but I'm diving in the tropics, so visibility is generally not an issue.

Too many times I've had people in a black wetsuit and black gloves try to show me their fingers with their hand held in front of their body. Any method that requires that you signal against your body or arm is subject to the same problem.

Totally concur. This is why I buy gloves with white palms and fingers. If I dive with somebody who has black palms and fingers, I tell them up front their hand signals won’t be distinguishable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom