One Fin at a Time...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phaethon

Contributor
Reaction score
So I lost one of my Mares Quattro Avanti fins the other week and trolled off to Dive Direct to try and get a replacement for a dive that afternoon. The guy in the store told me they often get people asking for single fins but were not allowed, by Mares, to sell them one at a time. I asked if another supplier did condone selling single fins, reasoning that it could happen again and didn't like the idea of a company telling me I had to buy twice as many fins as I needed, but he said no company allows this.

It's not like these thing are left-right specific, like, say shoes. So I bought a new black pair and now have three fins, just in case I grow another leg.

Later I asked in another scuba store in Pompano and they had a lone fin in blue and hadn't heard the 'rule' about only selling in pairs. So, is the pairs only rule a)Mares' and other suppliers' policy, b) DD company policy to avoid stock hassle c) a lie to increase turnover d) a mistaken assistant and I should have asked the manager?

Cheers,

K.

Well, shoot if you had a smallish foot we'd have a match!

I didn't lose a fin, but found one (looks to be brand new) floating in the surf one day (I've always wondered about it's owner.....). Same brand...Mares Avanti Quattro, blue size small....
I'd asked the same question at dive shops and goten the same answer. I've only held onto it because they're fairly expensive fins and figured some day someone would find it handy....don't suppose you happen to need a size small?

Not mine, (black, regular) but it was lost at Fort Lauderdale and was heading your way, so keep your eyes open!

The one on offer at the scuba shop on US1 Pompano was a regular blue and he wanted, IIRC, $75 ($100/pair new).

Maybe you could Ebay yours 8^)

K.

There is no such rule... Mares let's us sell single fins all day long... as does everyone else. I believe you just ran into the guy who didn't want to break up a pair for you to make less money... and it worked for him. But it wasn't really the straight story you got.

I dive a blue and green Quattro set. I found the blue floating in Pennekamp Park. No one claimed it so for the past eight years I dive one blue and one green fin. I get a lot of comments. There was a thread on SB about one legged divers a while ago, do you suppose they buy a single fin (and a spare-the second fin) or can they buy just one? :wink:

Firstly, you could have bought two and kept one as a spare (just in case it happens again), secondly, are you still in Ft L Ken? Or did you go back to blighty again?
Thirdly, Metaldetector should get some red paint, colour up the blue fin and be nautically correct UW red-port green-starboard - then we could tell what way up he was, in which direction he is facing etc!

simbrooks:
Firstly, you could have bought two and kept one as a spare (just in case it happens again)...
That's what I did - three fins on my wagon....

simbrooks:
secondly, are you still in Ft L Ken? Or did you go back to blighty again?
Yes, back in London.

K.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom