One dive day on Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be in Maui the first week of November but only have one day to dive. I've heard rumors of Mantas being seen around Maui now and that is one thing I would love to see. Also would like to go to Lanai'i if possible. I did inside Molokini last year so would like to get someplace else this year. I've seen the posts with the dive op reviews, but if you only had one day to dive, where would you go, and who would you have get you there?

I would do the 3-tank Adventure dive that Ed Robinsons does on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Fridays. That would give me the most bang for my buck, would take me to the backwall of Molokini, and likely a dive or two on the corners of Molokini as well. We've seen mantas quite a few times at Molokini.

As a second choice, I'd jump on a Lahaina Divers charter to Lanai to dive the Cathedrals. If you've never done the Cathedrals they are simply amazing and definitely one of my favorites. I choose Lahaina Divers over Extended Horizons because I prefer the big boats for what is sometimes a rough crossing, as well as a few other personal reasons.

Hawaiian Rafting actually does an evening "manta dive", but I haven't heard anyone talk about it, so haven't a clue if it's even close to the manta dives on Kona.

Most of the ops I know of doing the "manta dive" here on Maui are shore ops. Usually you have to call a shop and request it - they don't do the manta dive as a regular tourist activity for fear of scaring them away. I'd recommend giving Pacific Dive a call and asking them http://www.pacificdive.com (808)667-5331.

Aloha,
Tim

thank you Tim and Maven. I'm trying to talk my buddy into a 2nd day.

I think the manta "site" is somewhat offshore, isn't it, Tim? I did it off a boat in April... you'd need a scooter to do it from shore, if it's the same site.

They're not quite as guaranteed as the Big Island manta site, I don't think...

Had a great dive at Makena Landing today. If I had had my camera, I would post some pics, but you wouldn't believe me even still. There was one point where I could have framed a 6' white-tip reef shark, decent size turtle AND spotted eagle ray in one shot.

I have some serious issues with Ed Robinson's operation, and I'm finding out I'm not alone... PM me for details.

aloha all.
I always see mantas on the 2 tank night dive charter during the twilight dive(1st dive)
i never see anybody posting about Maui Dive Shop operation....why is that?
aloha

I think that depends on where the twilight dive is... where do you go?

There is occasionally some talk about MDS... it seems, however, that the people that have dove with them are fairly lukewarm usually. I have not dove with them, nor do I have any intention of diving with them, given their lack of quality control.

no other place than molo....its the best place.
shoreline doesn't compare. although nice.
it seems you do all the talking. and since you've never dove with them before
you probably shouldn't be so harsh.
anyways.

MAUI DIVER:
no other place than molo....its the best place.
shoreline doesn't compare. although nice.
it seems you do all the talking. and since you've never dove with them before
you probably shouldn't be so harsh.
anyways.
*I* do all the talking? I don't think I contribute to this forum any more than the other regulars...

Let's put it this way: I also have my "ear to the ground" so to speak... and I have not once heard a glowing review of MDS. There have been mediocre and poor reviews... never great.

If you want to contribute otherwise -- please do so. Of course, given your apparent employ by them, I wouldn't expect your reviews to be seen as unbiased.

You'll note: I've been around here for over 3 years -- a lot of dive op reviews have come and gone... and you'd think that if an op was getting positive reviews, we'd be repeating it, especially when the op is the size of MDS.

Of course, who would expect the McDonald's of Maui diving to deliver top-quality experiences?

As for mantas -- I've seen them in one out of every two dives I've done at Molokini, twilight or otherwise. I've also seen them at Manta Way...

Having made multiple trips to Maui, and having dived with three different boat operators, if I had one day to dive on Maui . . . I'd shore dive.

I'd do the Mala boat ramp, which is a stunning dive. I'd maybe do Ulua Beach, or Ahihi Bay, or Honolua Bay, depending on conditions. You won't see mantas on any of those dives, but you'll see turtles and myriads of reef fish and maybe a shark or two. And you'll spend very little money, and if you contact kidspot (Tim) to dive with you, you'll have a most excellent guide and delightful companion.

The boat dives are fun. The shore dives are just as much fun, only cheaper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom