One dead, one missing (since found), 300 foot dive - Lake Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It varies. rEvo are inherently negative even before the counter lungs flood .
Not sure where you get this from, my rEvo standard Ti unit in saltwater requires 14lbs to sink with a dry suit and two 80cft cylinders. I am 6ft 4 and 190lbs so I am relatively of slim build.

Cathal

research submarine escape, they are cesa's. mind you the bottom time is not generally what you will see in tech diving. It could be close to someone who bombs the floor and then does a
Polaris
That EEBD gives you, what, 6 breaths? Not quite a CESA.

For those of you who are saying that "diver error," or "human error" are the cause of these rebreather accidents and fatalities, I'd like you to look at the following accident model. This is David DeJoy's Human Factors Model for Accident Causation, which was published in the early 1990s by the American Society of Safety Professionals. Note that all accidents are shown as "human errors." But, also note that there are many factors which go into those errors. These include "Person Machine Communications," the "Environment," and "Decision-Making." I have used this model since it was published to analyze accidents and determine the factors which go into them, and have published internationally with this model.

The situation with rebreathers is that the individual can be more easily overcome by the complexity of the "Micro-Task" and "Macro-Task" environments. Far from making the environment safer, the rebreather technology demands much more attention than many divers can give in certain environmental conditions. This is part of the answer about why we have very highly qualified divers die using rebreather technology, IMHO.
Toward a Comprehensive Human Factors Model of Workplace Accident Causation - ProQuest

SeaRat
John, here is an incident that seems germane to what you are describing here. Forgot to turn on the oxygen. Navy Officer Quickly Doomed by Error with 'Rebreather' Diving Gear

John, here is an incident that seems germane to what you are describing here. Forgot to turn on the oxygen. Navy Officer Quickly Doomed by Error with 'Rebreather' Diving Gear

From the same article:

"Andrew Fock, then with the Department of Intensive Care and Hyperbaric Medicine at The Alfred Hospital in Victoria, Australia, authored a research paper in 2013 that said rebreathers have a 25-fold increased risk of component failure compared with scuba. Fock noted that the 181 recreational rebreather fatalities between 1998 and 2010 occurred at about 10 times the rate of deaths among scuba divers."

Not sure where you get this from, my rEvo standard Ti unit in saltwater requires 14lbs to sink with a dry suit and two 80cft cylinders. I am 6ft 4 and 190lbs so I am relatively of slim build.

Cathal
From my rEvo diving friends. How much lead does it require if you only have the drysuit? I. E. is the unit on its own negative or positive? The ones I have played with (mini Ti and standard SS) were all noticeably negative on their own.

From the same article:

"Andrew Fock, then with the Department of Intensive Care and Hyperbaric Medicine at The Alfred Hospital in Victoria, Australia, authored a research paper in 2013 that said rebreathers have a 25-fold increased risk of component failure compared with scuba. Fock noted that the 181 recreational rebreather fatalities between 1998 and 2010 occurred at about 10 times the rate of deaths among scuba divers."

Are they comparing the types of dives accurately? Bimbles on OC to deep dives by experienced tech divers requiring deco etc. just aren't comparable to my mind.

That's similar to cave divers having higher incidents compared standard rec divers. Does not compute to my mind.

I was surprised when the autopsy on Susan Winn (the diver who came up from depth and was unresponsive at the surface) said they found no evidence of injury or illness. I had this presentation in mind, which mentions Chrissy Rouse’s heart was found to be full of foam when his autopsy was performed.

http://www.unm.edu/~sschneid/6. hyperbaria.pdf

Does seem impossible that they could find no injury or illness. The woman is deceased. Very confusing

Are they comparing the types of dives accurately? Bimbles on OC to deep dives by experienced tech divers requiring deco etc. just aren't comparable to my mind.

That's similar to cave divers having higher incidents compared standard rec divers. Does not compute to my mind.

Ask Andrew Fock.

Back
Top Bottom