One day to dive... do you bring it all?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove the Med last year mid May. All in rented gear as I was not expecting to dive. Both France and Northern Italy (Cinque Terre). I have rented in Cuba, USA, Mexico, Chile, and on this occasion. In my own limited experience, the European shops maintained their rentals the best. Cuba absolutely the worst by far.

PS. water was 60 degrees all the along that part in mid may. I was good in a 5mm sermi dry.

Last year when I went to Kauai, I bring my diveable set: mask, snorkel, boots, fins, bc, reg. We were planning to do a lot of snorkeling, so mask, snorkel, fins are must. My fins need boots to work, that went too. I didn't know how much diving I would get, but since my BC is AL plate with basic harness and a very pack-able wing, it was real easy to pack. Then the reg, might as well. It turned out that the AL plate was a perfect ballast for snorkeling too

Me I would bring Mask, Reg's, Dive Computer, Camera, dive light Sola Photo 500, Surface marker. I would bring my knife but TSA would steal it. Wet suit and BCD and Fins get to stay home.
Mask I know it fits
regs I know when they were serviced last. (IN Asia bring adjustable wrench break down reg's and carry on! Use wrench as tank banger! Pack wrench in checked luggage!)
Dive Computer I understand it as I am familiar with it.
Camera got to have pictures
Dive light Sola 500 great video and photo light and very handy when the power goes out and to be seen if you float out to sea. (in the USA might get dodo from TSA, ask for the scuba diver supervisor)
surface marker w/ whistle Good way to get found if a FLOAT get one that has Reflective band on it so you can shine dive light on it at night.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd bring the personal essentials you mentioned and any items that you may not be able to rent predictably. You eluded to size, are you off the rack for a stock sized wetsuit for example?

wow, what a decision. The problem is I am heavily into UW photography. Thankfully I haven't run into a situation where I have to make this decision. And I am anything other than off the rack.

We are considering a trip to PNG, then on to Australia and New Zealand. Considering some options to ship back my diving equipment after the first session of diving.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Terry

I would bring my knife but TSA would steal it.

TSA won't take the knife if it's in your checked in luggage. I regularly travel with shears and/or a dive knife, no problem.

Personally, renting wetsuits is simply unacceptable to me. I'd bring my wetsuit and probably my computer. I may or may not rent a BC, depending upon where I was going and what the diving expectations were. I have a plastic plate that weighs less than two pounds I'd bring, sans wing, if shallow diving. I'd probably rent regs though I have carried my own for a similar trip in the past. All in all it would really depend upon what else I was planning to do with my time and luggage. If I was going to be fairly stable in a decent hotel and not need a lot of gear or not need to pack truly light (IE for lots of touristy travel around my destination) then I'd bring more gear. If I wanted to be more mobile, I'd bring less gear.

If you are diving in Malta take just minimal kit, mask snorkel, fins and dive computer.
You can rent everything from the local shop, regulations are pretty strict and the equipment is pretty well maintained.
PM me and I can recommend you a couple of good divings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom