One day in Belize City, what to see

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all the land stuff we did in Belize was enjoyable, so it's hard to guess which someone else would like best. Here's another spin on it - if you think you will go to Belize again and there's a chance it will be in the summer, there's something to be said for doing more things like cave tubing, cave canoeing, or kayaking then. And doing the zoo or ruins next month when it won't be as hot and humid yet.

We should be back in Belize City around 11:00 Saturday morning and will be flying out on an 11:15AM flight Sunday so we probably need to pick a side trip that is just an afternoon. Right now I'm leaning towards the zoo but am concerned about a couple of reviews I saw online about restrictions on cameras. I'd be much less likely to go if I can't take my above water camera gear with me. Anyone know if there are actually restrictions on photography at the zoo?

I spent a number of years in Belize (working on a liveaboard) and for me, the best day trip was Cave tubing with Jaguar's Paw. They ran a first class operation and I am a cave junkie (love cave diving). Being able to lazily drift down a river and explore some beautiful caves can't be beat. Be sure to wear some comfortable, closed shoes for accessing the river, It can be a muddy walk, but it is well worth it.

The zoo is also a lot of fun, but it will only really be a half-day tour. Sometimes it can be combined with a trip to Altun-Ha, which is also very nice.

Happy hour at the Radisson on Friday nights (if your day in the city is a Friday) can be a nice way to end the day. A lot of colorful ex-pats, liveaboard crew, and locals hang out there.

Right now I'm leaning towards the zoo but am concerned about a couple of reviews I saw online about restrictions on cameras. I'd be much less likely to go if I can't take my above water camera gear with me. Anyone know if there are actually restrictions on photography at the zoo?

I'd be really surprised if that were the case. I've never heard of a zoo that wouldn't let you take pictures, at least in broad daylight.

As far as I know there were no such restrictions when I was there almost two years ago. I had my point and shoot camera with me, took a bunch of shots and no one said a word.

Not that there were many staff people around. You walk through the entrance, pay your money at the window and then you're pretty much on your own.

I just checked out their website and didn't see any reference to photography one way or the other.

You could try emailing them to confirm: info@belizezoo.org.

My husband certainly took a SLR of some sort when we were there, though it was a long time ago. Maybe post pointers to the reviews where they said this, curious?

We should be back in Belize City around 11:00 Saturday morning and will be flying out on an 11:15AM flight Sunday so we probably need to pick a side trip that is just an afternoon. Right now I'm leaning towards the zoo but am concerned about a couple of reviews I saw online about restrictions on cameras. I'd be much less likely to go if I can't take my above water camera gear with me. Anyone know if there are actually restrictions on photography at the zoo?

When we went there, our guide, who apparently knew some of the caretakers at the zoo, took great pleasure in pointing and and suggesting locations to take photos, so that we could see some of the animals that tended to try to hide. It's been a couple of years, but I really don't recall any limitation.

Photography at the zoo isn't restricted. If they think you're a professional, judging from your camera gear, they may ask for a (significantly) higher fee. But I took a professional-grade camera and very long lens and they didn't bat an eyelid.

Been to Belize a few times now - definitely a two or three week poke around and see kind of place. Last trip ended up renting a car and going up into the mountians - ended up at a viewpoint to a spectacular waterfall after a drive from wetland jungle up to mountian pine forest in three hours or so.

Not a big fan of zoos, but if I had just one day I would do the zoo. There are some cats there you are never going to see anywhere else and you need to be very patient to see some of them. You can easily spend 3 or 4 hours just wandering around.

It has been a couple of years but I had no issues taking my DSLR and a bunch of glass in. No tripod however just a big camera bag.

I vote for the zoo. The drive alone shows how diverse the landscape of Belize is with tropics, grassy areas and mountains. The zoo is nothing like a U.S. zoo, you'll definitely get some of the most up close shots. I have a bunch of photos from our trip in Dec 2007.
Belize Zoo & Belize City Dec 2007 pictures from travel photos on webshots

As for Belize City, we stayed one night at the Radisson and it was one night too many. I would visit Belize again but I would never stay in Belize City again. Very poor service at the hotel and we were offered drugs just down the street from the hotel, of which had barb wire surrounding the pool area and armed guards outside the entrances. I especially enjoyed this note in our room about picking up hookers:
img_0110 pictures from travel photos on webshots

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom