One day in Belize City, what to see

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey BB

You have some great shots there and I loved the hotels warning sign :D

You are absolutely right about the zoo and I tell everyone its a one of a kind zoo and was not born to make money. (probably is making money now though, not sure)

The history is that years ago a film company came to Belize and filmed a movie and then abandoned all the animals they used in the Movie. Sharon took them in and then people kept bringing her injured animals or orphans and the zoo was born.

As for Belize City its never been marketed as a vacation destination and tends to be just for an overnight if you really have to.

Gaz

The Great House is also my hotel of choice. Be prepared to haul your luggage up and down the stairs, and there aren't many services to speak of, but the place is Third World quaint, reasonably clean and secure. The Smoky Mermaid restaurant in what would be the GH side yard is a very pleasant place to take your meals.

I think the zoo is going to be it unless something else jumps between now and then. Saw the warning about cameras on Trip Advisor which I tend to take with a huge grain of salt but wanted to ask. I'll be bringing a SLR with an 18-200 and a 105 prime and I'm not even planning to take my tripod or monopod to Belize at all so it sounds like I should be fine.

Taxi to the zoo? Or do you arrange a car service? Or should we rent a car for the one day we'll be there?

I bet Blackbird Caye will arrange for a driver for you if you contact them in advance. That's how I made both the zoo trip during our stay at Turneffe Island Lodge and the Altun-Ha trip upon our return. I told TIL what I wanted to do, and they made all the arrangements to have a driver meet us at the dock.

If I remember right, the drive takes about 45 minutes each way.

I'd much prefer to hire a driver rather than taking on the responsibility of a rental car in Belize City. But that's just me and as always ymmv.

My guess is that you could get a taxi to take you no problem after you negotiate a price. But I like to plan these things in advance.

I go the other way and rent a car. That way I am in control of the agenda. i.e . how long to stay rather than have a guide trying to hurry you along. The drive is simple once you get out of Belize City - however Belize City is very confusing to navigate in and out of. No right answer to this one, but I have been pretty much everywhere in Belize and unless you get seriously off the main roads the driving is pretty simple.

I go the other way and rent a car. That way I am in control of the agenda. i.e . how long to stay rather than have a guide trying to hurry you along. The drive is simple once you get out of Belize City - however Belize City is very confusing to navigate in and out of. No right answer to this one, but I have been pretty much everywhere in Belize and unless you get seriously off the main roads the driving is pretty simple.

Well, I wasn't hurried by our guides on either trip. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but in my limited experience our drivers were willing to do pretty much anything we asked of them and both times we took small side trips with no issues.

I agree there is no right or wrong answer on this one. I just wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of renting a car for only one afternoon.

The drive is simple once you get out of Belize City - however Belize City is very confusing to navigate in and out of.

Yep, there are only two roads going out of Belize City. The Western and the Northern Hwys. The city does seem a bit confusing but if you take a look as you're flying in, it's pretty simple, mainly because it's small. Lots of one way streets. But you could drive around for about half hour and see just about every street in town.

Hey Hank

Gotta ask you 2 questions

1.) What the hell is a Baby Harp Seal Fabricator :D

2.) I heard the other day of a a phospohresant lagoon in your neck of the woods called Gotta Glow lake or something like that. Its a pool full if bioluminesance similar to the one they have in Puerto Rico

Know anything about it ????

Best

Gaz

I had a doctored avatar photo that a friend sent me with a baby harp seal, in my boat with a spear stuck in it (that was in a fish that I sent him the picture of). So the signature kind of evolved from that. I mean, if there is a baby harp seal in Belize, someone must have fabricated it.
Never heard of the bioluminescent lagoon. I'll ask around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom