Once again I have more drysuit questions!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a food-grade UV protectant spray. They have it at the dive shops - used for cleaning and protecting dive gear. I like that it puts moisture back int the latex seals instead of drying them out like talc does.

Drying out latex?

Why are seals on suits that have been stored for years, with a generous amount of talcum as good as new when you unroll the suit?

With latex seals you must make sure to clean them with soap and water once in a while, to get rid of oil from your skin. Then dry them, and apply a little bit of talcum on them.

Always store latex seals out of the sun, and away from ozone-sources.

Talc keeps latex soft. It does not dry them out. A dive shop might tell you that so you buy their expensive spray.

I use a food-grade UV protectant spray. They have it at the dive shops - used for cleaning and protecting dive gear. I like that it puts moisture back int the latex seals instead of drying them out like talc does.

Not every storage location has the same ambient environmental conditions. Some people have more cooking oils in the air, more pollution, more or different " fill in the blank " and so on. So if a suit with latex seals is stored for a year at location X, one may not expect the same results from a suit stored in location Y.
Also seal life will depend on what kind of contaminant is on it before storage. So, as you can see, huge variables are going on when storing a suit other than "mine had talk, yours didn't." kind of thing.

All things are not equal when storing our suits.

Not every storage location has the same ambient environmental conditions. Some people have more cooking oils in the air, more pollution, more or different " fill in the blank " and so on. So if a suit with latex seals is stored for a year at location X, one may not expect the same results from a suit stored in location Y.
Also seal life will depend on what kind of contaminant is on it before storage. So, as you can see, huge variables are going on when storing a suit other than "mine had talk, yours didn't." kind of thing.

All things are not equal when storing our suits.

Thats why you should store it in a airtight bag when it is properly dried.

Don´t dump it in the back of your car if you want the seals to last (guilty as charged)

Thats why you should store it in a airtight bag when it is properly dried.

Don´t dump it in the back of your car if you want the seals to last (guilty as charged)

I'm not that that.. what's the word, careful. Until I broke my ankle I dove it at least every month. I'm not messing with an air-tight back for the thing. Wrist seals I can replace, neck seal it's going to the shop for. In the grand scheme of things, seals are not that expensive to replace now and again.

I'm busting the theory that talk alone is what keeps the seals alive.

I see your point. It is a combination of things. Washing your body oils off them would help a lot before storing one. I am bad, I usually rinse them, dry them, talc them stick it in a bag. But I usually have it out most weekends so it does not really get stored. I think the thing to remember is the seals are breaking down the first time they are exposed. I dont believe there is anything that really helps them when they are used every weekend.

I'm not that that.. what's the word, careful. Until I broke my ankle I dove it at least every month. I'm not messing with an air-tight back for the thing. Wrist seals I can replace, neck seal it's going to the shop for. In the grand scheme of things, seals are not that expensive to replace now and again.

I'm busting the theory that talk alone is what keeps the seals alive.

The talc absorbs the oils from your skin that breaks down the latex. Clean, talc and store. I've had mine for two years with no talc..didn't know.. and it is just now needing replaced.
BTW, be sure to use unscented talc...100% pure talc. Corn starch might work as well.

A word on talc. First, it has to be pure talc, unscented. The stuff they use in barber shops is scented and is a no-go. Baby powder is also a no go. I searched high and low to try and get pure talc as opposed to paying for it from my LDS. The only way I could find it was on special order from the pharmacy. I ended up buying it from the LDS.

A word on talc. First, it has to be pure talc, unscented. The stuff they use in barber shops is scented and is a no-go. Baby powder is also a no go. I searched high and low to try and get pure talc as opposed to paying for it from my LDS. The only way I could find it was on special order from the pharmacy. I ended up buying it from the LDS.

Has anyone been able to find talc anywhere but the LDS? I've looked at a few drug stores but haven't been able to find it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom