On Verge Of Panic!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, complex quoting and replying is tricky, and perhaps the cockiness and defensiveness I thot I saw was in response to the deleted posts, which could have been a bit much.

I grew up on a wild & woolly farm & cattle operation, well before OSHA got into farming, so it takes a lot to make me panic too. I understand.

Dandy Don, one purpose of this Board is to allow newbies to tell us about the mistakes they made without being attacked. I know flaming is fun for a couple for some guys, but that is not the purpose of this Board.

If people can flamed for posting about their mistakes here, then a disincentive for posting will be created. Then who would want to post here? It's not rocket science.

1) This was a dive operation that does scheduled runs. We didn't hire them I just jumped in solo with them and picked up an insta buddy. This is one of those operations were people can get certified within a few days if they want while on vaca. . . .

4) I would prefer not to say. Lets just say well East of FL

5) Just happened to meet him. Spoke for an hour or so and jumped on a few dives with him and some other divers picking up an inst-buddy for each dive.

Thank you again, OnceLoyal, for your posting on this Board. The fact that you are posting here shows that you learning from the experience. I commend you for that.

Thanks for the clarification about the locale.

Keep diving - just keep it shallow.

Dandy Don, one purpose of this Board is to allow newbies to tell us about the mistakes they made without being attacked. I know flaming is fun for a couple for some guys, but that is not the purpose of this Board.

If people can flamed for posting about their mistakes here, then a disincentive for posting will be created. Then who would want to post here? It's not rocket science.
I agree. I [-]never[/-] seldom intend to be rude, but this is a life or death deal so I do want to be clear in my thots and suggestions.

And in fairness DD has put himself up for inspection/flaming with some of his more cavalier episodes. Maybe he should post them at the same time so people don't get the wrong impression. And to remind the rest of us of his FUs :)

OnceLoyal - thanks for posting. You did well. Really well. I think the key point people would try to get across is leaving your ego at the door. It doesn't really matter too much about how calm you are in other situations although that's great in itself - diving is a whole new world. Here's a recent post from a very experienced diver that should make you realise just how easy even the most experienced can die when complacent...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...rned/299377-those-pesky-careless-moments.html

Safe diving hombre,

J

DandyDon I took no offence in anything you said. I am happy you posted..I only responded to clarify a couple things.

Inthedrink, I agre with you 100%....If you could step into my head (god help anyone that could) you woul understand the point I am trying to get across. There is no ego to be found here and sorry if I cam e across that way. Just merely stating how easy panic can come...Thank god I realized it and delt with it right away. I think I might possibly not even be here to let everyone know about this ignorant event :)

And in fairness DD has put himself up for inspection/flaming with some of his more cavalier episodes. Maybe he should post them at the same time so people don't get the wrong impression. And to remind the rest of us of his FUs :)
That I have. :blush: Not sure what you mean by "post them at the same time" tho? I don't want to hijack this thread with my screwups; you want me to bump the threads? :silly:
DandyDon I took no offence in anything you said. I am happy you posted..I only responded to clarify a couple things.

Inthedrink, I agre with you 100%....If you could step into my head (god help anyone that could) you woul understand the point I am trying to get across. There is no ego to be found here and sorry if I cam e across that way. Just merely stating how easy panic can come...Thank god I realized it and delt with it right away. I think I might possibly not even be here to let everyone know about this ignorant event :)
Thanks. And I do agree, it was great that you didn't panic. I had a little rush a few days ago when my home bud ignored me as I past into deco and past our agreed ascent pressure. I have a standing promise to his sainted mom to always take care of his hide, but I really had to go, he was narced and ignoring me, and he was focused on the Cozumel DM - so I bailed. Had to fall back on my pony bottle to do the slow ascent and both stops.

What are those basics for trouble shooting in the water...?
> Stop
> Breath
> Think
> Act
Are those right...?

> Stop
> Breath
> Think
> Act
Are those right...?

Sounds good to me!

I had a little rush a few days ago when my home bud ignored me as I past into deco and past our agreed ascent pressure. I have a standing promise to his sainted mom to always take care of his hide, but I really had to go, he was narced and ignoring me, and he was focused on the Cozumel DM - so I bailed. Had to fall back on my pony bottle to do the slow ascent and both stops.
Yippee yay yo cay yey ...

Don, did it ever occur to you that dive buddies who ignore you are not dive buddies at all? They're liabilities.

Did he even notice that you left?

That's someone I'd have a really hard time getting back in the water with ... especially if it was someone I cared about.

Since he was so narc'ed, I suppose you were pretty deep at the time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks. And I do agree, it was great that you didn't panic. I had a little rush a few days ago when my home bud ignored me as I past into deco and past our agreed ascent pressure. I have a standing promise to his sainted mom to always take care of his hide, but I really had to go, he was narced and ignoring me, and he was focused on the Cozumel DM - so I bailed. Had to fall back on my pony bottle to do the slow ascent and both stops.

The other option would have been to poke him in the ribs to get his attention, point to your computer, thumb the dive and ascend with him.

How did you know that he wasn't in deco and/or almost OOA also? Your buddy doesn't need you when everything is fine, he needs you when things are getting ugly, and that's just when you ditched him.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom