On using a small tank to increase bottom time and provide redundancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@NothingClever Streamlining, now there's a point I hadn't considered all that heavily. I intended to mount the pony to the side of the main tank, valve open, second stage in predive mode. Under that configuration, how bad of a drag should I expect. Like, ballpark. 10% worse? 50%? Double? Cause if it's 10% I'm not worried about that, but double would be quite an issue. As for the condition of my regs, they're currently in fine shape, but plenty of things can happen down there in the dark to screw up a regset. If, for example, a LP hose were to snag on a piece of sharp metal (like, say, a piece of tin roofing~I've found weirder down there) and cut open, I could be in quite a lot of trouble. For this reason (and others like it) I feel like redundancy is a good idea regardless of the state of my primary regset. As for why my post focused more on bottom time than redundancy, I've more or less already decided on redundancy, the question is do I use the pony as a range extension or not. However, I'm concerned about the streamlining issue, as I hadn't really considered it much. Further thoughts on that would be appreciated.

@Wibble My plan was to go with the backmount option, which prompts me to ask what is probably a stupid question: Why do I need to be able to reach the valve? If I cut it on before the dive, do I need to be able to cut it off later? It's not like an isolation manifold where it might drain another tank as well. I'm not disagreeing with you, I just legitimately don't know why I need to be able to cut the valve off.

Mate you don't need our advice/opinions, we need yours, to loosen up and enjoy ourselves, thanks in advance!

This is pretty much par for SB

"Hey I have this great idea what you all think of it?"
"Yeah no not so great, there's a simpler better way"
"Well I have 10 dives now and I think its great so Imma do it anyway"
"Carry on"

"I'm right!"
"No, I'M right!"
"You're wrong"
"No YOU'RE wrong"
"You're an &$%#"
"You're a BIGGER ^&*%!"
"You are no longer allowed to reply to this thread because of a TOS violation."