On rental gear and type of suit for Italy in late August/early September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

Headed to Italy very soon. I'd like to do some diving. I won't ask for destinations in this thread (I have a million scubaboard tabs open on this topic), but there are two things that I'd like to get advice on.

- Suit. I own an Apeks 7/8 mm semidry with integrated hood and across-the-chest zipper. It keeps me warm in Monterey temperatures (low 50s deg F, 10-12 deg C). I was thinking of taking it but the bulk and weight is a huge drawback. Are appropriate suit rentals generally ok for the water temperature? A little wear and tear is ok, but I'd like to know if rental suits are generally in terrible condition? I don't expect this to be the case, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

- Regulator. I own my own regulator set, and it is a yoke style connector. Are most rental tanks in Italy yoke or DIN style? Also, I purchased my own regulator for safety, but overall, would you say rental regulators in Italy are well-serviced?

Anything I can do to lower the weight and bulk in my suitcase =)

Thank you!

Hey bud,

I've been in Europe for a while now and while I haven't dived in Italy, I've rented gear in Portugal, Spain, Germany, and Bulgaria. All tanks I've rented have been DIN, but I brought my yoke reg to a few places (usually leave it at home) and every outfit has had a converter insert when I asked for it. Never received anything but perfectly fine gear. Whoever you rent from will have an appropriate suit for the local water temp.

Have a great trip and enjoy the dives!

Hi all,

Headed to Italy very soon. I'd like to do some diving. I won't ask for destinations in this thread (I have a million scubaboard tabs open on this topic), but there are two things that I'd like to get advice on.

- Suit. I own an Apeks 7/8 mm semidry with integrated hood and across-the-chest zipper. It keeps me warm in Monterey temperatures (low 50s deg F, 10-12 deg C). I was thinking of taking it but the bulk and weight is a huge drawback. Are appropriate suit rentals generally ok for the water temperature? A little wear and tear is ok, but I'd like to know if rental suits are generally in terrible condition? I don't expect this to be the case, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

- Regulator. I own my own regulator set, and it is a yoke style connector. Are most rental tanks in Italy yoke or DIN style? Also, I purchased my own regulator for safety, but overall, would you say rental regulators in Italy are well-serviced?

Thank you!
Hi,
I was wondering if you went diving in Italy last year? We are visiting in September, and hope to do a few dive days around Naples and Ponza, and had the same questions about rental gear and regulator attachments. Definitely want to use my own dive computer, as I don’t do meters! Any info appreciated.
Natalie

Would like to hear the OP's experience as well.

I rented in Monopoli, Italy (near Bari) in November and everything was great. I always bring my Mares Puck since I don't deal in meters either. Plus I download to the digital logbook when I get home. If you don't bring your own reg you should be ready to monitor your air in Bars instead of PSI. No big deal.

Hi all,
- Suit. I own an Apeks 7/8 mm semidry with integrated hood and across-the-chest zipper.
It's an overkill for late August/early September in Italy, even in Northern Italy like Liguria. That would be useful only in late autumn or winter

Are appropriate suit rentals generally ok for the water temperature? A little wear and tear is ok, but I'd like to know if rental suits are generally in terrible condition? I don't expect this to be the case, but I thought I'd ask just in case.
Rental suits are in decent conditions

Most of the regulators are DIN but in the diving you can always borrow a converter insert, or even buy one since they are not expensive. Here is a good one for about 6 euros (new)
Rental regulators are always well serviced as far as I know

Thank you!

I hope you enjoyed your trip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom