On Line Shopping Experience... First Episode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nbalsari

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've just confirmed my order for two scuba sets and want to share the shopping experience with interested people in ScubaBoard(SB), that I used frequently during last days for the evaluation of the equipment and shops, and owe at least that much…

PS: This is the first episode: I did not receive the equipment yet, but will keep on posting on following days about the post-order experience:

1- I started the search for two sets, one for my self (advanced, rare nitrox, 50+ dives year, lots of travel and some liveaboard) and a close friend of mine (Novice, 10+ dives a year, all local)

2- First tried to locate Aqua Lung Regs(Legend LX and Titan LX) , as they are easy to service everywhere (ref: SB and other divers). It was available on line only through Leasurepro (NY) and Simplyscuba (Int: Spain). I also took the e-mail addresses of authorized dealers (all were LDS's) in Florida from Aqua Lung's site, and and e-mailed all requesting quotations. Only answer was from Scuba World-Orlando, who was saying that they will work out a deal for me, and will contact again soon. One week, passed but no developments.

3- I e-mailed Leasurepro and asked for a BCD advice to fit my needs and the Aqua Lung Reg Set. They offered me one with an additional 30% in-house discount, but I did not like it. I've read a lot here in SB about Leasurepro (LP), negative and positive. But I decided that they while they are good for accessories and basic stuff, I want my regulators and BC from a more reliable source.

4- At that moment, I did some more on-line reading, and decide to go for Oceanic, as they have very good test results and comments, an established service centre in Istanbul, and it is possible to buy Oceanic on-line.

5- I dropped a couple of e-mails to Divers-Supply (that I've shopped once) both their on-line and Tampa shops which I was planning to visit. While on-line shop sends an e-mail back, they did not answer my questions… Tampa did not receive it at all, or -may be-did not bother to answer. What I've learned is, Tampa Shop prices are relatively higher than their on-line shop, but they might accept to sell them for the advertised prices in on-line shop.

6- However, I liked one of the package deals in their web-site, but wanted some upgrades.

7- As I was keeping on reading the Board, I decided to give a try to Scuba Toys as well. In fact, they were in TX, and my plan was to shop through a shop in Florida, where I'll spend a week in December. I've send an e-mail, and get a very warm and positive response from "Joe". OK, I shall admit that I thought they got an on-line sales department there with 10 people, and all are signing the e-mails as either "Joe"or "Larry":blinking:.

8- I do not go into details, but first (he) they matched Diver-Supply Package, did the upgrade with an acceptable increase, gave an other good deal for the accessories that I wanted, and finally, a very nice discount even better than the original package deal!

9- I gave an international call yesterday, to find out if those guys are ‘real’ and also to discuss some minor issues about the second set. I bought all on the phone.

10- Today, I received an other e-mail from “Joe” offering a free upgrade for the cheap computer of Set 2, as they are out of stock for 4 days!

RESULT:
LeasurePro:
Good Prices, but Risky.
LDS’s: ( At least Aqua Lung Dealers) Unfortunately Do On-Line Bussiness.
Even Do not Answer E-Mails.
Divers Supply: On Line Shop Not Bad.
Scuba Toys: Best Experience. Best Prices. Best On-Line Scuba Shop Award.
These Guys Deserve It.

LESSONS LEARNED:

1- Give the shop a call. Give your budget for a set. They might accept it as it is, or with minor changes. Prices are better on the phone than on the web.

I’ll update the Board once I got the equipment, but I’m sure that it will be OK.

This is a funny post. It doesn't show being edited but when I first read it, it claimed that it was a challenging situation and that some were not authorized dealers. now it only shows this.

My original reply was a question about how challenging can it be to answer a couple of e-mails. Oh well... what do I know?

OK,

Here is the end of the story as promised:

1- Package delivered on time with one missing (duffel bag), one broken (Laser light) and two wrong items (2 Reg Bags were different as the one I ordered was back order-Fins were different color)
2- As soon as I informed them, I got the missing duffel, replacement light and right color fins with next day delivery.
3- I got the right reg bag as soon as it was in stock again.

So, some mistakes in order processing but perfect service to correct all mistakes.

Thanks once more to scuba toys. I'm 100% satisfied with this shopping experience.

5- I dropped a couple of e-mails to Divers-Supply (that I've shopped once) both their on-line and Tampa shops which I was planning to visit. While on-line shop sends an e-mail back, they did not answer my questions… Tampa did not receive it at all, or -may be-did not bother to answer. What I've learned is, Tampa Shop prices are relatively higher than their on-line shop, but they might accept to sell them for the advertised prices in on-line shop.

6- However, I liked one of the package deals in their web-site, but wanted some upgrades.

I first want to say I am only a very part time employee of one this chains stores.(one weekend or so a month in the Charlotte store) I don't know who you got the reply from but they do have a toll free number also if more detailed answers were needed. As far as higher store prices... with the internet store they run sales sometimes where we have to hear it from our very internet informed divers. But if the prices are listed as a sale price we will honor them in the store. This goes for all seven stores. I understand the business that you dealt with is a fine internet retailer. I just wanted to say that I was sorry for your dissatisfaction on our part. If you have any other gear related questions please e-mail or call our store(Charlotte) direct and hopefully we can answer your questions more efficiently. Or just drop me a pm here:D

Butch

I can't attest to the Tampa Divers Supply store as I have never had any business dealings with them, however I have dealt with Jacksonville, FL shop and received good customer service. They also honored the website pricing which helped when I was shopping for gear. No arguing or haggling, I asked about the price I saw on website and they were happy to ring up the sale at that price.

That being said, I have heard ample reviews by divers on Scuba Boards in addition to a few other divers I know that swear by Scuba Toys and their customer service.

side note To Outlaw....I have since moved to South Carolina and am about 2 hours away from you guys in Charlotte. Haven't had the chance to visit your store yet, but the fact you responded to the OP in such a fashion just got you a few brownie pts.

note to self: look at the date of posts and drink at least a second cup of coffee before responding to posts

note to self: look at the date of posts and drink at least a second cup of coffee before responding to posts

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom