OMS question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No Fish

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have an OMS IQ pack with backplate etc.... I have been told the IQ pack can be used without a backplate as a lightweight travel BC . Has anyone done this? It looks like there is a place for straps...

Hi,
I have one but have not done this, although it can be used that way according to OMS. It seems that 2 tank straps can be put thru their appropriate slots in the back of the IQ harness and used w/o the BP.

I have never used my IQ pack with a back plate. It works fine.

I do think it works much better with a STA than without one.

TwoBit

Yea,
I have the STA on my IQ with the BP. I believe the STA is a more stable rig that just the tank straps threaded thru the IQ pack.

That is why I was curious. So I undertand that if you want to use it without the backplate and STA you would just put the straps through the slots, bladder, etc and then , obviously, around your tank. I would think this to be uncomfortable on your back..........

but I do have a Transpac II. On that BC singles are always mounted using a pair of cambands that thread through the back of the harness. The harness takes on the curve of the tank, but a non-bouyant foam pad makes for a comfy fit. If the IQ pack has some padding, you might get the same result. This sort of thing really needs to be tried rather than discussed. Go diving, experiment.

No Fish once bubbled...
That is why I was curious. So I undertand that if you want to use it without the backplate and STA you would just put the straps through the slots, bladder, etc and then , obviously, around your tank. I would think this to be uncomfortable on your back..........
I could be wrong but i don't think my IQ has slots cut into it for the straps to thread through. You have to use a STA, at minimum, as the means to secure your tank to the IQ. I'll check tonite but i'm pretty sure about that.

At only two pounds i find the STA to work great with the IQ in a warm water setup. It travels nice.

Mine will do both. Its just more stable with the STA.

Its plenty comfy without it too. The pack is well padded.

TwoBit

OK I will give it a try. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom